MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Printer installation problem! Please help!
June 18, 2019, 07:52:49 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2019, 07:52:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Printer installation problem! Please help!  (Read 2501 times)
marylpf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2004, 03:28:43 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:WinXP Pro
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:HP Officejet 600 All-in-One
Error Messages:Printer not connected.

I purchased a Hewlett-Packard 600 All-in-one through Ebay.  I connected the appropriate parallel cable.  I downloaded the necessary installation software from the HP website.  Prior to installing, I followed installation instructions regarding ECP port settings in the Device Manager and the Bios.  During the process of installing when the computer has been connected to the computer and powered on, the computer is supposed to recognize new hardware, but it doesn't.  Restarting does not help.  Installation does not proceed to the point of installing drivers so that I get an error message concerning no communication between the computer and printer.  I have tried to install it manually, but the process does not allow me to select the drivers in the driver cache folder.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software a number of times.  HP's tech support said that they have done everything they can to help me and that it must be a system problem.  Is there anyone out there who can suggest something?  I have tried so many things at this point that I am about to pull my hair out!!!  

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 02:38:09 AM »

Check for bent pins on the cable.If it does have a usb connector use that instead. Have you tried Search for new Hardware.Was it a new printer.

An Australian Member of

EDDY
marylpf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 03:06:40 AM »

Thank you for responding.  The printer is not new, but was a floor model that I purchased through Ebay.  The printer cable is brand new and has no bent pins (10 feet).  The printer requires a parallel cable.  I have tried the search for new hardware, but the computer doesn't find any.  I have manually attempted to install it, but it doesn't allow me to point to the driver cache where the xp drivers are (I do not have a cd, but I downloaded the software from the HP site).  I have uninstalled and reinstalled, and now during installation I get an error that says that the drivers I'm attempting to install are not compatible with my OS (Win XP Pro).  This is a new message that I didn't get the first few times I reinstalled.  Let me know if you have any suggestions that I haven't tried yet.  Thanks very much!

lbtanny

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 03:56:15 PM »

Suggest that u go to HP's support site and see if there is a driver for wiundows XP.

marylpf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 04:21:35 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion.  However, that is where I downloaded the installation software for Win XP to begin with! :-)

lbtanny

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 04:39:21 PM »

How are u attempting to install printer. Give me step by step.

marylpf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 05:36:24 PM »

After downloading the software from the HP website, I made sure that the all-in-one and the computer were disconnected.  I restarted the computer, double-clicked the installation icon, and followed the directions.  At one point in the directions, it asks that the printer and computer be connected, which I did.  It then says that the computer will detect new hardware after clicking "ok."  That doesn't happen.  It simply goes back to the original installation screen when the computer doesn't detect the new hardware.  It also instructed that the computer needed to be restarted if the printer wasn't detected, which I did, but still no detection.  I have tried unisntalling and reinstalling several times, and the same thing happens.  I have tried adding a new printer manually, but I don't have a cd to direct to in order to install the drivers, so that hasn't helped either.
Thank you again for trying to help me.

lbtanny

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 05:43:42 PM »

Did u got to settings, click add printer? Please connect the printer.

marylpf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 07:27:01 PM »

Yes, I did attempt to add printer, but at the point it says to print a test page, it informs that the connection was lost.
Thanks

lbtanny

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 07:38:41 PM »

go to settings,printers,delete all printers. Attach the printer to your PC. click on add printer and follow instructions.

marylpf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 10:55:15 PM »

I did as you suggested, but when trying to print, I still get a message that the printer has lost the connection with the computer.
Thanks

lbtanny

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2004, 12:06:32 AM »

Shut the printer off and remove the power cord and printer cable. Turn off the pc. re-install all the cables and see if that will work.

lbtanny

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2004, 12:07:50 AM »

If this will not work, I suggest u replace the printer cable.

loner491

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2004, 02:27:20 AM »

Are you using IEEE1284 standard cable? When you set your ECP port in BIOS , have you also set DMA for the printer?

marylpf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 06:22:04 PM »

I do have an iEEE1284 compliant cable.  When I set the ECP port in the Bios, it appeared that the DMA was pre-set.  I did not change it.
Thanks.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 

Jump to: