MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Format Drives?
April 25, 2019, 09:20:35 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2019, 09:20:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Format Drives?  (Read 781 times)
mrtubs

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2004, 03:13:43 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Iam currently using windows ME and although it has given me no trouble over the past couple of years it has now become a real pain. My computer often crashes with a different error message each time, and ven more often simply freezes with no message at all. What I would like to do is save all my important documents etc onto CD's, then wipe the whole system so that all bugs etc are cleared and start again. As my computer is relatively new and has lots of memory I think it would be wise, if I'm doing this anyway to use windows XP as that is the latest version and, hopefully, the most stable. My problem is that I haven't a clue of how to go about this.

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 09:16:52 PM »

if memory serves me correctly today all you need to do is put your windowsxp cd in and reboot and it will do the rest for you

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully
in her sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.

Brian
Dizzy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 09:42:03 PM »

If you are going to install Windows XP, a clean install is advisable in order to avoid problems in the future.  This Site will give you the information you need in order to do this.  If you have any other questions, just post back.

I am a "One Off Gem."

Just ask My Julian. [Cheesy]
mrtubs

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 06:44:04 PM »

Smiley

Thank you both for your help. Kraut I found your acticle particularly interesting. I would like a bit of advice regarding your coment to back up, back up, back up.  I currently use roxio easy Cd and DVD creator. The compatability check shows there is a problem with this program on XP. Would I still be able to retrieve files saved using drag to disk, or is there a better way to back up. Sorry I'm a bit of a novice with these sort of things.

Ian

shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 02:36:49 PM »

Hi there:

I'm not familiar with Roxio, but usually programs in which you drag files to your CD are using packet writing. This is a method of writing files to CD which is generally readable by almost any PC running Windows.

While you may want to check, if it's using packet writing, you should be able to use those files on any PC running windows.

Hope this helps

Shplad

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: