MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: kazaa virus kills w2k
December 15, 2019, 04:02:31 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 15, 2019, 04:02:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: kazaa virus kills w2k  (Read 912 times)
treadingwater

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2004, 07:00:36 AM »

Am I the only one?

Okay, this seems to be among the more capable tech groups I've seen on the web so maybe I will find my holy grail of salvation here.

I've got a decent custom built machine sporting your standard "W2K Pro" OS.  However, some kind of freaky ass cluster of viruses has managed to kick the living **** out of it.  I've tried every related procedure I've been able to dig up but my problems keep getting worse and not better and now I just need to slavage a couple files before reformatting.

The scoop:  The system files are damaged and corrupt.  The OS doesn't even know it's an OS at this point, which means it can't load itself.  Blue screens of death occur constantly during any attempt to log onto even the safest of safe modes.  The Emergency repair process declares that the OS is damaged beyond repair.  The recovery console is accessible, as are the directory listings of what's left of the mutated files, but I know something's wrong because it doesn't ask me for the administrator password and it doesn't give me the option to choose which registry I'd like to log onto, which would normally be "C:/winnt".  The Winnt folder exists as listed in the contents of drive C, but that's about all it has going for it.

Surely the problems are severe, and I know this all sounds quite futile, but I'm of the persuasion that I might be able to replace the damaged/corrupt/missing system files on the hard drive with their intact versions from the CD.  However, my windows CDROM has over 4,000 files on it and I can't see the benefit of just aimlessly going through the list until doomsday trying to get this computer to give birth to itself once again, but I feel there must be a standard, textbook procedure for doing this.

Looking on the Microsoft website has told me as much as that, but that's about all it tells me.  Looking on their site for "recovery console" and "replace system files" microsoft happily proclaims it's ability to "replace 'system files' (talk about anonimity) from removable media", but I have yet to find any step by step procedures to do so, or any documentation on replacing system files most commonly damaged by a virus.

I don't care if the list was 100 files long if I could just get some indication of what files/drivers/etc, are most crucial to W2k functionality, and which folders to copy them into.  It doesn't sound like a cake walk, but it seems to me that at least that much must be possible.  Otherwise they wouldn't have placed the option in the recovery console to begin with, right?  Anyway, either that or I'd also be interested in other forms of data recovery.  

This current situation occurred after a failed attempt at an "In-place insallation" during wich the utility was (quote) "unable to find" about 70% of all the installation files it needs to complete the procedure.  Oddly enough, it never had that problem during the ERD process, being that all the files are supposed to be on the CD and that I have 3 copies of it.  Um.. Yeah.

Hm, well, I hope this sounds familiar to somebody out there.  I'll be here chillin.  Thans.  

TW.

BIO:  I don't care in the least about the files on my crippled PC and would have no qualms about formatting and reinstalling Windows ASAP.  But my girlfriend cannot live without some of her personal text files and, for misguided reasons, a copy of the registry.  (However, I've determined to say to hell with the registry once I get these other files).

If worse comes to worse, I'm just going to wipe it and reinstall and just call it an "accident" (it's been months as the problems progress).  But I'm giving up on my desire for the quick fix and submitting my problem to the forum.  Yes, I've decided, I guess I can just (ugh) WAIT for the answers if they exist, but anyway.

I've been learning as I go, which means I could have at least done as much as copy the files a long time ago if I could have seen the way things were heading.  Currently, however, I'm not even sure if a skilled technician could do the job.   Of course, not being one myself, how would I know?  LOL.

wake me up when it's over
Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 04:16:09 AM »

http://www.mytechsupport.ca/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=42&topic=1762
http://www.mytechsupport.ca/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=42&topic=2918

If this fails give the girl friend a kiss and a bunch of flowers and tell her to close he eyes while you format.Or buy a new hard drive and use the old one as a slave and then transfer her files using a good virus checker.Then again.maybe someone will come up with another option.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 04:18:28 AM by Pancake » Logged

An Australian Member of

EDDY
shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 02:17:30 PM »

Hey TreadingWater:

Does your GF make backups of her important data files?
Perhaps explain to her that she probably wouldn't have anything she needs in the registry at all, since it's mostly code and technical info.

The fact that Windows repair or Recovery console report Windows is too damaged to be repaired has no reflection necessarily on the DATA on the hard drive.

Is there a CD Burner? If your GF doesn't have a backup drive, borrow a second hard drive, or a removeable drive, or something you can use as a second drive onto which you can backup her important data files.

Now, if you look around the internet, you will see boot CDs advertised everywhere (free and $$) that allow you to boot from a CD, gather data from a bad drive and back it up. That should get you first er...ummm....kiss from your GF.  You will also find utilities that boot from a floppy, but give you access to basic pc utilities on CD. Those should allow you to at least backup the important files.

I do it all the time as a technician/administrator.

It does sound like the Windows is too damaged to be fixed, however.

Good luck

Shplad

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: