MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Cordless Mouse Installation
April 25, 2019, 09:02:30 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2019, 09:02:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cordless Mouse Installation  (Read 1071 times)
Rusty

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2004, 01:43:16 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:XP Home
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:HP Desktop
Error Messages:The PS2 mouse provided with the computer is being replaced with a cordless PS2 mouse. Upon disconnecting the original mouse and connecting the cordless mouse, the cordless sensor illuminates, but the mouse does not respond.  XP never stated "new hardware found" as part of the plug and play.  There was no installation disk for the generic cordless mouse.  It is supposedly plug and play.  The installation instructions suggest deinstalling the old mouse driver and try again.  I tried this but the original PS2 mouse driver prevails.

How do I uninstall (safely) the old driver so that upon rebooting the "new device" plug and play with work and the cordless mouse will operate?

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 04:15:15 PM »

Hi Rusty,
Restart the computer & go into safe mode,then go to the device manager.Click the "+" next to "mouse/mice".Then right click all the "mice you see & delete/remove them.Plug in the new cordless mouse & restart the computer.It should now detect new hardware & install drivers for it.
Take care.

Sandy
Rusty

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 04:50:45 PM »

I'm sorry. I have both an XP and Win98 PC.  It is the Win98 PC with the problem. Does Win98 have a Safe Mode?  How is it accessed?

Thanks for your earler response and I appologize for the mis-communication.

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 05:09:42 PM »

Hi Rusty,
It's been a while since i've worked on a HP machine but try restarting the computer & at the splash screen start tapping the F1 key,F10 key,DEl key.You can also try restarting the computer & holding down the "ctrl" key.
Take care.

Sandy
Rusty

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 05:30:50 PM »

More on status.

I deleted the driver on the Win98 machine, it refers to deleting a port, not device, but deleted the driver as hoped.  After rebooting, Win98 did stated that it located a new device, loaded what it stated to be the correct driver, but unfortunately it reloaded the original mouse driver, not for the cordless.  I attempted to download more current mouse drivers from Microsoft, but the message stated that I have the most current driver version.  So, the cordless still doesn't work and I'm back to the original mouse.  After two attempts at rebooting, the result was unchanged.

I guess I'm stuck.  It's a generic "made in China" cordless mouse.  I wouln't know what type of driver to search for on the web as a replacement . . . no brand name, etc.

Unless you have any other suggestions, I'll write the experience off as a mistaken purchase.

Thanks, in any event.

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 05:43:38 PM »

Hi Rusty,
Have you tried going to the mfg's site & see if there's any updated drivers?Also,I would email them with the problem you're having.
Take care.

Sandy
Rusty

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 04:56:51 PM »

Sandy:
Bought a Logitech Cordless.  Installed fine.  Requred a different driver.  Everything's operating as expected.

Sad experience with a Japanese generic.

But, thanks for your help

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 05:37:48 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty

Sandy:
Bought a Logitech Cordless.  Installed fine.  Requred a different driver.  Everything's operating as expected.

Sad experience with a Japanese generic.

But, thanks for your help

You're welcome Rusty.
Most of the time it's worth spending a few extra bucks for a name brand.
Take care.

Sandy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: