MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: registry help
May 24, 2019, 01:41:44 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2019, 01:41:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: registry help  (Read 962 times)
wildcherrys

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2004, 04:00:05 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I have a Dell laptop Inspiron 4000 upgraded from windows ME to windows xp pro. I was reading about how to; disable the start up splash screen in the registry, heh heh heh. I know I am not suppose to mess with the registry but I did and know when I go to log on to my logon name it takes forever. Its like its looking for the splash screen and cant find it.I cant seem to find that text anymore and forgot where to go enable it again. Could you help me enable this splash screen again? It takes about 2 minutes just to log on to windows. thanx

WildCherry's
Wainui

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 05:39:41 AM »

Do a System Restore and restore your computer settings to a date before your started "Messing around"
Click Start then Help and Support.
In the Help & Support window, click on Performance & Maintenance, bottom left.
Next click Using System Restore to Undo changes.
Now move your mouse to the righthand pane and click on Run the system Restore Wizard.
Follow the instructions of the Wizard.
Good luck.

wildcherrys

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 05:45:16 AM »

Ive tried that and my laptop wont restore either,,, bummer huh? This is the last time i mess with the registry lol. I dont know why it wont restore, i figured maybe because I went back to the very first restore point before when i had a virus, it worked and got rid of the virus but I think probably what had happened is it knocked out all the restore points after that. I have tried all the restore points i have and it just wont do it.any other suggestions?

WildCherry's
Wainui

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 08:44:10 AM »

Try this : Go into the Control Panel and double click the Registry Healer icon.
In the Registry Healer window click Action, top left, and then Start Registry Scan.
Read the notes in the Information window and click OK. This will create a restore point (date). Do not go too far back otherwise you may bring on all the other troubles that you had in the past.
This program should check your registry and give you a report.
Follow the instructions. When finished, try doing a System Restore, you should have a restore point now to work from.

Dizzy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 09:01:20 PM »

wildcherrys,

For what it's worth, if you ever have a virus you should disable System Restore to purge all pervious restore points before you eliminate the virus.  That way if you ever do have to restore, your restore point will be clean.

It's also best to always make a backup of your Registry before you make any changes.  That way all you have to do is double click on the backup to merge it back into the registry if there is a problem.

After you get this squared away (most likely with Wainui's excelent advice) you can disable the boot screen using This Method (you might want to bookmark that.)

Best of luck & please post back to let us know how it goes.

I am a "One Off Gem."

Just ask My Julian. [Cheesy]
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: