MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: bios help
November 15, 2019, 06:35:09 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 15, 2019, 06:35:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: bios help  (Read 827 times)
rex

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2004, 07:59:23 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I want to have a bios update for in this year beacuse my bios has outdated               can i receive a bios update for my dell system optiplex gmt+ 575 thanks...

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 09:32:15 AM »

Updating BIOS is not really a good idea, unlees there are specific reasons. It's one of the few times when your PC can really be turned intos doorstop by doing something wrong, or having a power outage!

Go to Dell's webiste for instructions, and the appropriate files - but DO NOTHING unless you're certain that you know what - and why - your're doing it!

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
acore

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 01:44:37 PM »

Updating your bios isnt really recommended as it is very hard, very tricky, can go wrong extremely easily, and often never works...So you either get a proffesional to do which costs money, or live with what youve got. Why would you want to update your bios anyways?

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 04:18:42 PM »

I thought I'd said that!<g>

However, Updating the BIOS isn't 'very hard' - just a little tricky, especially if you're not comfortable in DOS, and one of the times when it's realy *essential* to have a UPS for the PC. A power outage at the wrong time can mean that the EEPROM has to be replaced - and sometimes that just isn't practical.

Most m/b manufacturers have pretty good instructions (although I came across one the other day where I ducked out simply because of the incredibly bad English used to describe the operation), adn if you follow them *to the letter* you won't go far wrong.

As I said  - DO NOTHING unless you know what and why (there will be a 20min test afterwards!<g>)

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: