MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Momentary Slowdown Problems
November 15, 2019, 05:26:53 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 15, 2019, 05:26:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Momentary Slowdown Problems  (Read 1343 times)
1charlie55

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2004, 10:27:55 AM »

The problem that I'm having is not actually mine but it has me scratching my head too. This person has a Compaq Computer that is only a year or so old and is running Windows XP Hom,and every time they use the Win Media Player (ver.9.1) or try to play any type of game on this unit, everything starts out just fine.. but given a couple of minutes, the picture will noticably slow down, like it was being played in slow motion but only for a couple of seconds and then it will speed back up to normal. it will do this continually until they shut the computer down completely. When they reboot, it will be fine until they start playing another game or using the Media player again. It's one vicious circle, and I have checked all the things that they have running in the background to find that they have only a minimum of things running altogeather. I have checked to see if thier drivers are updated, especially thier Video Card and everything seems to be in order. I have run speed disc and defrag on this computer, all with no change. I have run the direct X tests that go through the sound check and visual check and that seems to be working properly as well. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I would appreciate any and all information and/or advice that you can offer.
Thanks Smiley
Charlie;D

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 12:56:47 AM »

How much ram does that system have?

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully
in her sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.

Brian
1charlie55

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 01:46:15 AM »

Thank you for reply.I know for a fact that it has  at least 500 Mb ram.

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 02:24:27 AM »

ok this may sound like an odd question but does that pc have microsoft office installed? if so try disabling the fast find feature so it quits indexing the hard drive , it worked on my win98 system that was having the same prob with games and such

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully
in her sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.

Brian
Dizzy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 04:18:22 AM »

Hi Charlie,

It sure is good to see you here, friend.  Welcome to the best forum on the net. Grin

You may get more help for WMP9 Here.  A good number of people I know have had nothing but trouble with WMP9 & find they want to remove it.  If your friend wants to go that route, you can "uninstall" it by doing the following:

Start | Run and type in:
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\WINNT\INF\wmp.inf,Uninstall

You may get an error message at this point, not to worry, it really did uninstall.  Reboot the computer and download and install WMP8 (also known as 7.1, even though they are the same thing) from This Site.

Dizzy

I am a "One Off Gem."

Just ask My Julian. [Cheesy]
1charlie55

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 06:27:15 AM »

Hi bbhagrid..Diz!!! great to see you. Thank you both for the advice and information. I'll send this page to them so they can try out what you suggested. I'll keep you posted. Again Thank You so much.
Charlie Cheesy

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: