MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: A:\ is not accessible
November 14, 2019, 02:52:15 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 14, 2019, 02:52:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A:\ is not accessible  (Read 1904 times)
rex

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2004, 12:12:46 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I Have a Big problem with this please help me to solve this problem thanks.
When I accessing a floppy diskette to the floopy drive it occurs like this
"A:\ is not accessible
     The system cannot read from the specified device"
And again I access a new format diskette it still occur an error
"a:\ is not accessible
     THe system cannot read from the specified device."

Since this problem occur, I insert some diskette that contain some dust and scratch, I access that diskette to the floopy drive and after that I see a Blue screen appear
"DISK WRITE ERROR"

and after that I insert a good diskette to the floopy drive, when i access the error occurd like this

" "A:\ is not accessible
     The system cannot read from the specified device"

What should I do to solve this do I need some cleaning disk to fix this? there is any floopy utility or software that fix this?

Thanks!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 12:22:19 PM by rex » Logged

Dizzy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 08:24:02 PM »

Hi Rex,

You can receive this error when a floppy disk has a bad sectors (or a single bad sector) at the beginning of the root folder.  You can download Analyzer/Recover Fixed Floppy Disk and see if you can get the info from your floppy disk that way.  You might also try BadCopy, I'm looking for a link for you now - I seem to have misplaced the link to the freeware version.  If I find it, I will post back.

Dizzy

I am a "One Off Gem."

Just ask My Julian. [Cheesy]
Dizzy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 08:29:24 PM »

Well, I found an evaluation version of BadCopy, but I can't seem to find the freeware version now.  You could try BadCopy Pro and if you like it, you can purchase it.

Be sure to post back and let us know how it goes.

I am a "One Off Gem."

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 10:50:07 PM »

Hi Rex,
First go into the bios & make sure the floppy or fdc controller is enabled.Then shut down the computer & unplug it.Take the side panel off & grab the bare metal with both hands to discharge any static electricity.Then push on the ribbon cable going to the floppy & the other end going to the mobo to make sure it's seated ok.Then put the side panel back on & boot up.Then right click my computer>properties>device manager.Click the "+" next to "floppy disk controllers",then right click "standard floppy disk controller & delete/remove it.Then click the "+" next to "floppy disk drives" & right click "floppy disk drive" & delete/remove it.Restart the computer,it'll detect new hardware & reinstall the drivers.If none of these suggestions work,then it may be that the floppy drive is shot.Just replace it,they're inexpensive.
Take care.

Sandy
Dizzy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 05:33:46 PM »

Rex,

Pssssssssst!  Howd it go?

Dizzy

I am a "One Off Gem."

Slab

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 12:40:24 PM »

I am experiencing the same type of problem.

Here is what has happened thus far.

1. I replaced the questionable Floppy Drive with a known "Good" Floppy drive.  The problem repeated.

2. I replaced the questionable IDE cable with a known "Good" one. The problem repeated.

After this I was left to think that the problem had to be the actually connector on the motherboard.  I got an new (refurbished) system.  I put my Hard drive in this Identical system and guess what....yup...the PROBLEM REPEATED.

Now this points me to the Hard Drive and the Operating System.  I am currently running Windows 2k SP3 on a Dell Optiplex GX240 (USAF standard system at my base).  

Finally, the questions:
1. What in an Operating system would cause this problem to occur?
2. How do I fix this without having to reload the system?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

sathiyamoorthy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 03:06:47 PM »

dear friend
i read your problem and the related solutions given by others
i hope you tried the solutions , still problem continues
try the flowing.
here i would like to convay my suggestion to your porblem
according to your statement you used some dust floppy diskette in your floppy drive.this may damage your floppy drives head.
so,first you should check the drive with other pc
this will help you to confirm is that your floppy drive is working
fine or not,if the folppy working fine you have problem with any of the follwing bios setting,cables,floppy interface.check those
things.i hope that will end your problem

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: