MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: DVD Burner won't see ANY disks
November 22, 2019, 01:14:35 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2019, 01:14:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DVD Burner won't see ANY disks  (Read 2072 times)
mmaclean

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2004, 09:29:57 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:  Windows XP
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:  I/O Dual Format DVD Burner
Error Messages:

I have a problem with my DVD writer/drive. It doesn't want to see any kind of disk that I put in it. Whenever I put a disk in it whether it's a manufactured DVD or cd or a homemade one(DVD-r or CD-r) or blank disk, the door closes, the light blinks for approx. 2-3 seconds then shuts off. That's it. When I click on the drive in explorer, it tells me that there's no disk in the drive. My burning programs (Sonic MyDVD, Ulead DVD MovieFactory, DVD X Copy) all see the drive but tell me that the disk is not empty and to put in a blank disk. I keep putting in new blank disks with the same result. It's a 3 month old drive that had been working beautifully and without a hitch up until 2 weeks ago.  Then, my computer just sat for a week and the drive just stopped working correctly.

I have tried to clean the lens with a dvd cleaner disk. I have uninstalled the dvd writers' driver and let the computer re-install it automatically, which it does. The computer knows that the drive is there, the drive just doesn't see the disks. Any suggestions?

I am running windows XP, 512 RAM, 2.6 Gigahtz, 12 Gig of free space. I have SpyWareGuard and Norton AntiVirus. I also ran Spybot to no avail. The DVD burner is an I/O Dual Format Burner and I have a 2nd CD burner that came standard with the computer. The DVD burner is installed so that it is automatically the slave drive.

I have done a system restore to no avail as well as I have uninstalled all my DVD burning software and re-installed one at a time to determine if there is a software conflict.  Again, no luck.

Can anyone help me?  I am seriously confused...

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 12:40:16 AM »

Hi MM,
The burner isn't reading the dvd's.Open the case & push on the ide cable going to the burner & mobo.It would be better if you had another ide cable to switch.If that doesn;t take care of the problem,send the burner back under the warranty cause the laser may be shot.
Take care.

Sandy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: