MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Problem after changing desktop wallpaper
November 14, 2019, 01:59:26 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 14, 2019, 01:59:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problem after changing desktop wallpaper  (Read 992 times)
Azure

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2004, 11:16:59 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win 98
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Ever since I re-installed my win 98, whenever I have a background pic that is something other than the windows wallpaper, everything that I close out closes in thirds and is jerky, instead of just going all at once.  Any idea what could be causing this?  I never had a problem before I re-installed.  I hope I've described this ok.  Thanks.

Pamela
Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 03:57:59 AM »

If your windows aren't shutting as smoothly as they used to, the culprit is the wallpaper.

The more intricate your wallpaper, the more likely you are to experience this problem. One solution is to update your video card with one that contains more memory. Older display adapters may have as little as 2MB of memory to move data to and from the screen. Newer video boards typically include anything up to 164MB of memory, which speeds up complex displays tremendously.

If your budget won't stretch enough for a new video adapter, you have several other choices. You can dial the color depth back from True Color to High Color or even 256 colors, or use a graphics editing tool to save the wallpaper graphic in a smaller format.Maybe even get the latest video card driver Or, if the jerky movements don't bother you, let it be. The slow performance won't have any adverse effect on your PC.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 04:00:25 AM by Pancake » Logged

An Australian Member of

EDDY
bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 06:14:16 AM »

dp you by chance have active desktop enabled?

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully
in her sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.

Brian
Azure

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 03:24:54 PM »

Ahhh!  I had "view as web page" checked off under active desktop.  I unchecked it and everything is working fine now.  Thank you both for your answers!!  Grin

Pamela
bartony

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 06:38:36 PM »

Hey, Azure Pam and gang!  You know what? I was having the perzact same prob with my wallypaper!  I read this thread, and sho' nuff, my deal was checked for "view as web page"!  I unchecked it, and presto-lotto, it changes pics now quick as Texas lightening! Bodacious!  Thanks for helping a guy here, unknowingly!  Catch ya'll come later-

Tony
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: