MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Changing hard drive & CD Rom letters..D,E,F..etc.
November 22, 2019, 01:44:21 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2019, 01:44:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Changing hard drive & CD Rom letters..D,E,F..etc.  (Read 1668 times)
Malcolm

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2004, 08:04:14 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows XP Pro
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

When I formatted my (C) Drive and reloaded my data from my (D) Drive, the designation of (D)was changed to (F)which was my CD burner before....Darn confusing. Can anyone help?...Malcolm.

MJL54

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 09:44:50 PM »

When I formatted my (C) Drive and reloaded my data from my (D) Drive, the designation of (D)was changed to (F)which was my CD burner before....Darn confusing. Can anyone help?...Malcolm.

How many partitions do you have?  If (D) changed to (F), it would seem you have (D),(E),&(F) on your second (old D drive) now.  Is that right?  In which case your CD-ROM should now be (H).  You also said that (F) was your CD burner tag before.  So, you had (C) - main drive; (D)&(E) paritions on your second (D) drive, and (F) as your CD-ROM?

There are two ways to do this - I used both in tandem, sort of.  I don't know which version of Windows you have - I guess I should have checked - but you can use TweakUI (a very small enhancement program from Microsoft - they have it for Wind95,95 and I believe either ME or XP, not sure.  You can set your disk letter priorities right in the main panel under "My Computer."  Also, if you go into Control Panel/System/System Properties/Device Manager, check out the disk drives, click Properties and go to settings/current drive letter assignment.  If this is blank, enter the drive letter you want to use for each one.  Then re-boot.Smiley

Mike

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 04:10:26 AM »

Hi M,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844&Product=winxp
Take care.

Sandy
Malcolm

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 09:08:33 AM »

Thanks Mike...I realize I should of been more descriptive in my posting. I have two hard drives,originally they were (C) and (D).
 My burner was (E) and my cd/dvd player was (F). When I formatted my (C) drive ,I unplugged my (D) drive as it contained all my data from (C). After loading XP again I reconnected (D) and rebooted. That is when it designated (D) drive as (F), and (F) as (D). I unplugged everything but (C) and booted up. Then plugged in the other hard drive, leaving the CD drives unplugged, but it still designated it as (F)....I will eventually get used to it, but it is a pain right now...Malcolm.

MJL54

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 07:41:22 PM »

Okay, well I'm a little bit confused about exactly what you did, but whatever it was you should be able to get around it by the method I suggested in my last post - unless there are some hardware considerations, due to your changing the drives around - I don't know anything about that, but go ahead with what I suggested, you should be ok.  If not, get back to me and we'll go from there.

Embarrassed
Mike.

MJL54

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 07:58:57 PM »

Here's a link to Tweak.UI  You don't need this, but believe me it's nice to have if you're at all interested in keeping your computer running lean and mean, and it's fun too!
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

Malcolm

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2004, 08:25:54 PM »

Thanks again Mike...I downloaded Tweak,handy thing to have.
 I tried your suggestion but no joy. I discovered if I went Control Panel,Admin tools,Computer Management,Storage,Disc Management,and right click on the drive letter I wanted to change...It worked!!.
 Thanks again for your suggestions...Malcolm.

MJL54

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 06:07:27 PM »

Well, I'm glad, Malcolm.  I've only started getting involved in learning more about how computers work, strictly as an interested "amateur," but it's nice to see I've learned something from all those frustrating hours I've spent trying to figure things out - and of course people have always been more than helpful - without the help I got on various web pages, I couldn't have done it - so I'm more than glad to start giving back, even if you found a way out yourself.  I've just graduated from Win98 to XP - and what a difference that makes!  I never want to see another Windows 98 logo as long as I live!  NTSF is so much more stable.

Best of luck
Mike.
Grin

Malcolm

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 01:49:53 AM »

Thanks for the reply, I seems that I am not alone in the "Amateur" catagory.I have had XP Pro for about a year now and am still finding new things about it. I have hundreds of photo's that I am putting into albums as well as hundreds of songs from the '50's that I am trying to organize, so XP gets quite a work out, but it seems to take a lot of abuse...Good Luck...Malcolm.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: