MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Making my f drive my c drive
September 15, 2019, 10:25:54 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 15, 2019, 10:25:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Making my f drive my c drive  (Read 929 times)
stevedobo33

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2004, 04:06:09 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I keep getting a warning on my windows XP system, that my c drive is dangerously low on memory.  My c drive is only  6.2GB but my f drive is 120GB, so I figured if I made my f drive my c drive, my problem would be solved.  How do I go about doing this but also making sure that everything that is on my c drive gets transfered over to my f drive so that it all starts up properly.
Any help would be much appreciated and if it can be given in an idiot proof mode, that would be even better, cos I know nothing.

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 08:24:48 PM »

First - a few questions.
Are we talking two physical drives here, or a single physical drive with two partitions?
XP Home - or Pro?
FAT32 or NTFS?

You'd be tter off uninstalling a few programs, and moving them to the larger drive, than moving the OS to the large drive (unless the small drive is an old, slow one)

You can also move the My Documents folder to the larger drive.
This has the benefit of protecting your data if the OS partition/drive goes belly-up.
post back with details

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
stevedobo33

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 02:19:58 PM »

They are two physical drives and the 6.2GB c drive is an old slow one.  I'm on windows XP home and I don't know whether I am FAT32 or NTFS.  I don't even know what it is or what it means.  
Thanks for responding.

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 08:16:46 PM »

Sorry about the delayed response, Steve - missed the wake-up call!<g>
You should be able to move the contents of the drive across by using a Utility from the manufacturer of the 120GB drive (look on their website)- but you'll have to back up any data on that first, as it's going to be overwritten by the stuff from the old drive.

You should also make a FAST disk (http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=293118) as a just-in-case, and back up your data from the old drive - you can never be too careful!!

HTH - and Good Luck

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
stevedobo33

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 01:02:19 AM »

Hi Noel.  Thanks for your help.  I'll let you know how I get on.  I also accidently posted this message as a new topic, so there'll be a few people scratching their heads.  I wondered why it said I had to enter a subject...lol

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: