MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: trojan horse start page 4.t
September 16, 2019, 01:43:12 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2019, 01:43:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: trojan horse start page 4.t  (Read 1669 times)
bluebird

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2004, 05:06:13 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win XP
Problem Application Name & Version: Netscape 7.1
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages: AVG virus alert.

April 13, I noticed my Norton firewall flashing an alert.
I clicked it up & said "no" to more info. Immediately another alert popped up. This time I traced it & reported it. I thought everything was ok til I ran my avg & got the virus alert of a trojan horse start page4.t AVG said it cannot be removed. I ran Norton virus and it did not even find it. Ok so I think maybe I don't really have a virus.
NOT true! The start page 4.t happens to be my browser startup...when I click on it, nothing. Won't start. So I go to IE 5.0. Works fine.
Back to NS 7.1..nada. I uninstalled it and downloaded it again, installed and it opened right up. Virus gone???No way! I ran AVG again & it is still there & cannot be removed or quarenteened. I'm afraid now when I shut down NS, I will not be able to restart it.
How can I find this virus on my pc & get rid of it? Remember , Norton doesn't find it & I keep Norton updated, and AVG says it's there. Obviously it is...And I got a messge on AVG that the virus in in a file called nprotect...I cannot find that on my pc by searching.
And I keep getting a pop up alert from AVG every once in while that the virus is there...
Please help me...I'm at sea here!

Sad
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 05:20:00 AM by bluebird » Logged

bb
benditup

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 05:20:35 AM »

First off, you may have conflicts by running 2 antiviruses on startup
No problem having one as a backup, but on startup and running in the
background they may conflict (MAY)
Also I see you stated IE 5.0, are you sure about that?
Please Visit Windows update and Get ALL latest Critical updates and Services Packs.....

If you want a third opinion visit
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

P.S NProtect sounds like Norton Antivirus
You may have a quarantined virus in Nortons quarantine
Please check that out and post back results
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 05:23:17 AM by benditup » Logged

bluebird

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 03:00:58 AM »

I am currently installing some windows critical updates. 5 to be exact. And it the install has been running for almost 45 minutes now.
After I originally scanned with Avg, I shut it off, installed Norton AV & ran it, so AVG was not running during norton scan. Since I have removed and reinstalled NS 7.1, I was able to get it to load tonite.
As soon as the updates are done, I'm going to virus scan again. I don't have any norton quarenteen files as far as I know on that pc.
I do have Norton System works for xp so may remove other virus programs & use that.  But what if the virus persists? How can I find it & remove it?

bb
benditup

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 04:54:20 AM »

Once you figure out what AV your going to use make sure that you
Update it. Do a complete scan and let me know the name of the virus
and the complete path it is found in......
Also, when installing Windows Updates it's best to shut down your
Antivirus...

bluebird

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 09:59:17 PM »

Back again..ok did that. Now what??
After a complete scan the pathway according to AVG (which I am no longer using) is:
c:\recyclernprotect\00010735

Norton scans that nprotect file but finds nothing. (I'm only going to use Norton from now on.)Not because it didn't find the file but it's what I'm most familiar with.

I did a searchof my pc using the search featureand found nothing. Then used windows explorer to locate the file but no luck. I do have a folder where Norton System works used to reside but the nprotect folder/file is not there. Should I reinstall sys. works & see if it detects it? And since I've reinstalled ns 7.1...it is starting just fine. (btw--my ie is 6.0.2)
Think the file can be found?

Thank you for all your help/ideas!

bb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: