MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: 2 computers with dialup from the same home
October 21, 2019, 11:35:26 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2019, 11:35:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2 computers with dialup from the same home  (Read 1260 times)
babymoon

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2004, 08:07:13 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Home
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

???I would like to know if there is a way to have two computers, running from the same home, with Dial-up internet access? For example, I would like to be able to access the internet, while another user in the house is online as well. I don't know if it is possible without adding a second phone line, or a fax line. But I would appreciate any help you may be able to provide me, keeping in mind that I am computer illiterate, and would require step-by-step instructions.Huh?
 WINDOWS XP HOME both computers running on this version.

shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 08:51:01 PM »

babymooon:

Some versions of Windows include ICS (Internet Connection sharing.) This is software built into windows to do exactly what you are asking. One computer will dial into the internet and share its connection. The other will get its internet connection from the second computer.  The trick: Both computers must have an ethernet network card.

As an alternative, there are hardware boxes you can buy, (Basically routers) that are designed to work with modems. These can be had for about $20.00 these days if you know where to find them. They are a little easier to set up, and tend to give a bit better security.

The caveat: 2 computers using one internet connect=really slow speed on both machines (assuming you're using both at the same time.)

Good luck

Shplad

« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 08:52:21 PM by shplad » Logged

babymoon

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 09:01:01 PM »

Thank you for your quick reply. My next question is if how do you find out if they do both have the Ethernet, and next, if both are running XP Home, with 128MB would it be advisable to upgrade the MB in the main one, the laptop, or in both? Or does it matter? You say I can pick up a router for around $20 if you know where to look? Where do I look? Also, I was told that I can get a ?cath/catch cable? not sure what that is, but that it would work the same as a router basically. Do i need to have a seperate phone line for that? Or would having either the cable or router be enough? We need the two internet connections for (1) a home study course - the laptop, and (2) gaming and browsing. so, it isn't worth it to me to spend alot of money, especially when in July we'll be moving and most likely be able to access the DSL again.

star5cream

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 08:24:53 AM »

Firstly you can tell if your laptop and your desktop have an ethernet card by right clicking on my computer icon and clicking properties. Then click on the hardware tab and click device manager.

If you have an ethernet card in the machine in the device manager it will show a section called Network adapters, double click on it and it will expand to show you what type of card is in the machine.

Once you have established that they both have an ethernet card (your laptop most likely wont unless you have a card that slots into the side with space to plug in a cable) you can buy a Cat5 Crossover cable to connect the two computers together. This cable is cheap and can be found at any electronics store. If you are connecting just the two computers together it must be a crossover cable and not just a cat5 cable.

Grin

Once you have got to

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: