MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: I can only go online for 8mins 55secs!
August 25, 2019, 11:57:50 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 25, 2019, 11:57:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I can only go online for 8mins 55secs!  (Read 1130 times)
Andy3636

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2004, 11:22:22 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:win98

I can only log onto the net for 8 mins 55 secs before my connection stops sending or receveing information. the connection is not hung up but just stops transfering information. It's not my modem or my isp as i have tryed alternatives to both. there are  no other programs running so its not that. This is becomeing a real problem as i have to keep restarting my pc to go on the net. i cant dail back in i have to restart it. Any help would be very much apreciated. if you need any more info to help you to help me please e-mail me as its much more easy than through this forum but if you dont want to i will be checking it out frequently. my e-mail is andy3636@softhome.net. Thanks all.

Sad

Gruss

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 11:36:57 AM »

Hi Andy: I believe you've got a modem problem. It sounds like a component inside your modem might be overheating, then failing. That would do as you stated, however, don't know the fix for that problem. Try another modem, beg, borrow, steal one & see if it "WAS" the trouble. If it's an external then it won't be too big a job. Internal will take a tad longer, is all! Hth, George.

Have a good day!George.  Smiley
Andy3636

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 10:13:55 PM »

its not the modem as i have tryed a amr modem i had lying around. any guesses what else it could be?

shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 09:06:18 PM »

Hi Andy:

Are you sure you don't have a resource conlict on your PC? Windows 98 didn't handle resources as well as 2000 and XP do. Go into device manager and check to see if there are any "!" or "?" marks beside any of the devices. Go into the properties page of each hardware device and see the resources tab. Check under the conflicting devices area to see what is says for each device. If it mentions any type of conflict, you might have to reconfigure some of your devices to use diff. resources.

Also, this may sound crazy, but when I worked in a support centre, I saw many occasions where the modem was disconnected when a fluorescent light went on, an elevator went by in the building, or a PC with a modem was plugged into a circuit (note: I'm saying CIRCUIT, not outlet) which was also powering a high current device, such as a fridge, stove, a/c unit, humidifer, etc.

Is your modem plugged directly into the phone line, or is there a surge protector or some other device in the circuit? What other devices do you have plugged into your phonelines in the rest of the home?

Finally, sometimes cheaper, non-hardware modems have trouble maintaining or establishing whether there is a signal or a dialtone on the line. Are the modems you tried both hardware only modems, or software or controller-based modems?  Pure hardware modems are the workj best for this type of thing.

Hope this helps

Shplad

quote:
Originally posted by Andy3636

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:win98

I can only log onto the net for 8 mins 55 secs before my connection stops sending or receveing information. the connection is not hung up but just stops transfering information. It's not my modem or my isp as i have tryed alternatives to both. there are  no other programs running so its not that. This is becomeing a real problem as i have to keep restarting my pc to go on the net. i cant dail back in i have to restart it. Any help would be very much apreciated. if you need any more info to help you to help me please e-mail me as its much more easy than through this forum but if you dont want to i will be checking it out frequently. my e-mail is andy3636@softhome.net. Thanks all.

Sad

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: