MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: can't access my documents on 2nd drive
August 18, 2019, 01:49:28 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 18, 2019, 01:49:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: can't access my documents on 2nd drive  (Read 728 times)
squee

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2004, 12:12:51 AM »

here is my problem. i have 2 hard drives. one is from my old computer that stopped working. when i put it into the new computer as the primary master it asks what mode i want to start windows with (ie safe mode, normal, ect) no matter which of the options i choose it starts loading to the point where is shows the win xp logo for a split second then the screen flashes blue and then the computer restarts. so i decided to set it as the primary slave and use a different hard drive with win xp pro on it as the primary master. this drive loads fine and the other drive shows up in my computer. i can access most of the files except the ones in the my documents folder which happens to contain almost all of the files that i need. i am confused why i can't boot from this drive. before my old computer broke i tried putting this drive in the new computer and it didn't work then but it would still boot in the old computer. so if anyone knows how i can access those files that are in the my documents folder or tips on getting the drive to boot i would greatly appreciate it. it is finals week and all of my homework projects are in that folder and i am going to fail all of my classes if i can not get to them.
thanks
adam
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 12:14:55 AM by squee » Logged

shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 01:12:10 AM »

Squee:

One of Windows weaknesses, and a common misstep for beginners, is that you cannot just take a drive from one machine to another. This is because when you installed Windows to that hard drive, Windows configured itself and copied certain files (such as drivers) that were specifically designed for the hardware in the first machine. When you take it to the second machine, Windows looks for the same pieces of hardware as it saw in the first, gets confused, and then crashes faster than a drug addict at a detox clinic.

That means you pretty much always have to reinstall Windows when you want to use a drive as a primary master bootable in a diff. machine.

As for your problem, it may be a permissions issue. Was the drive by any chance formatted with NTFS? If it was, you probably had permissions set for the user's folder you are trying to access that forbid other users logged on under other accounts from accessing it.

My next step would be to try to change permissions on that folder.
1. Log on to the machine as Administrator
2. Right click on the particular user's folder
3. Click Properties
4. Click Security Tab
5. Make sure Administrator has all rights checked in checkboxes.

Let us know how this turns out.

Shplad

quote:
Originally posted by squee

here is my problem. i have 2 hard drives. one is from my old computer that stopped working. when i put it into the new computer as the primary master it asks what mode i want to start windows with (ie safe mode, normal, ect) no matter which of the options i choose it starts loading to the point where is shows the win xp logo for a split second then the screen flashes blue and then the computer restarts. so i decided to set it as the primary slave and use a different hard drive with win xp pro on it as the primary master. this drive loads fine and the other drive shows up in my computer. i can access most of the files except the ones in the my documents folder which happens to contain almost all of the files that i need. i am confused why i can't boot from this drive. before my old computer broke i tried putting this drive in the new computer and it didn't work then but it would still boot in the old computer. so if anyone knows how i can access those files that are in the my documents folder or tips on getting the drive to boot i would greatly appreciate it. it is finals week and all of my homework projects are in that folder and i am going to fail all of my classes if i can not get to them.
thanks
adam

squee

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 04:58:37 PM »

thank you for your help i still can't boot from that drive but i was able to gain access to my documents again. i think i am going to back up all of my files and reinstall windows.
thanks again
adam

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: