MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Unable to detect operating system
September 17, 2019, 05:32:41 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2019, 05:32:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unable to detect operating system  (Read 1480 times)
soulblender

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2004, 12:41:09 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: XP
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: compaq
Error Messages: unable to detect operating system on any disks

When I turn my pc on it says it is unable to detect an operating system on any of the drives, press enter to try again.  
Nothing will happen. Does anyone know what I can do about this or what might be wrong?  It was working fine for a long time, just suddenly happened one day.

Alok

Alok

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 01:03:08 AM »

try to see is there any loose cables like ide 40 pin/80 pin and try to see check CMOS setup
hit DEL>CMOS SETUP>ADVANCED CMOS OPTION>BOOTING SEQUENCE>FIRST BOOT DEVICE IDE 0 OR HDD 0 OR C ONLY
CHECK THIS
STILL FIND PROBLEM KINDLY ANSWER ME
IF THERE ANY MESSAGE PLACED DURING BOOTING KINDLY TELL HERE
AND ALSO TELL UR LEVEL OF EXPERTISE SO THAT I COULD TELLACCORDING TO YOU
REGARDS
Alok

ALOK TIWARI
mralokkp
soulblender

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 09:01:03 PM »

I checked for loose cables, they are all connected.  I also checked that the memory was in place.  In the CMOS setup it did not recognize the hard drive at all.  It is set to first boot from the cd.  
i took the hard drive out and tried it in another computer and had the same results, which led me to think the hard drive was bad, but when I tried another hard drive in the bad computer it did not work let windows start, though it did recognize the new hard drive and attempted to start windows but kept restarting the computer b4 the windows startup screen.  
Does this mean the hard drive is the problem and i should get a brand new one, or what else could be wrong?

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 11:33:09 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by soulblender

I checked for loose cables, they are all connected.  I also checked that the memory was in place.  In the CMOS setup it did not recognize the hard drive at all.  It is set to first boot from the cd.  
i took the hard drive out and tried it in another computer and had the same results, which led me to think the hard drive was bad, but when I tried another hard drive in the bad computer it did not work let windows start, though it did recognize the new hard drive and attempted to start windows but kept restarting the computer b4 the windows startup screen.  
Does this mean the hard drive is the problem and i should get a brand new one, or what else could be wrong?

Hi SB,
If those hdd's that you took out has winxp on them,Then they won't work in another computer.What is the make of the hdd that's not being detected.
Take care.

Sandy
??undy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 09:21:22 AM »

Hi SB,
If those hdd's that you took out has winxp on them,Then they won't work in another computer.What is the make of the hdd that's not being detected.
Take care.

Whoo!
dont know what your smoking
theres absolutley no reason why a disk with XP on it should not work in another computer.

have you checked all the jumpers are correct when you tried it on the other computer?
if you need help with jumpers tell me.

another problem could be a broked pin. if possible i suggest you pull apart the HD and check the circuitry. if you dont have a hex screwdriver then you can make one out of an old flat head screwdriver. just file it down until its narrow enough to use it.

sixpac

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 07:27:33 PM »

If you overhaul your computer by replacing a substantial number of hardware components, it may appear to be a different PC. You may have to reactivate Windows XP

Microsoft Product Activation is an anti-piracy technology designed to verify that software products have been legitimately licensed. This aims to reduce a form of piracy known as casual copying. Activation also helps protect against hard drive cloning. Activation is quick, simple, and unobtrusive, and it protects your privacy.
Product Activation works by verifying that a software program's product key has not been used on more personal computers than intended by the software's license. You must use the product key in order to install the software and then it is transformed into an installation ID number. You use an activation wizard to provide the installation ID number to Microsoft either through a secure transfer over the Internet, or by telephone. A confirmation ID is sent back to your machine to activate your product.
The installation ID number includes an encrypted form of the product ID and a hardware hash, or checksum. No personally identifying data is included or required. The confirmation ID is simply an unlocking code for the Windows XP installation on that particular PC.

If you didn't back up the "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak"  this can happen

Backing up WPA windows xp

Go to your _:\WINDOWS\System32\ and find a file called "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" back those files up to a floppy, CD or whatever you want to put it on.

When you want to restore these files go into safe mode and put them into your windows\system32 directory. When you reboot you should be activated

For now, you could "try" and boot to "safe mode" on the computer that did recognize the new hard drive if successful go to the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET

and delete all of them ( CONTROLSET001, CONTROLSET003, CURRENTCONTROLSET ) and delete the Enum section. This removes all of the hardware-specific settings

HTH

waypoints

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 12:46:44 PM »

If you do change your hard drive with a new one and do a total reinstall be sure to set up your original HD as a "slave" so you can attempt to capture back your data.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: