MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: My computer restarts itself
November 18, 2019, 10:15:55 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 10:15:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My computer restarts itself  (Read 2608 times)
jaz2438

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2004, 02:35:46 AM »

I have a Dell Inspiron 3800 Laptop running xp pro. It's got a 700 megahertz chip and I was having problems with it blue screening on me. I sent it with a friend who builds pc's and he updated some things for me hoping that it would fix it. He replaced memory from 64 mb to 256 mb, replaced battery, replaced hard drive twice. I had a 6 gig and he replaced with 12 gig. He said the computer destoyed the 6 and 12 gig. He put in a 40 gig and got the computer to work for short time. Now the computer restarts after 5 minutes or so and or locks up at times. I couldn't tell you what the blue screen say's because it won't stay up long enough to see it. I did change the setting in my computer properties not to restart automatically but it still does. I noticed that my fan doesn't come on anymore. My friend told me it ran quieter since he cleaned it out but I checked and the fan does not come on. I'm wondering if the chip is getting hot so I'm going to try putting a fan next to intake  and see if it  helps. I was thinking that if there was a power supply of some sort inside that could be replaced. HELP!

shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 01:16:25 AM »

jaz:

I'd consider that there might be a power issue. If your friend tried entirely new sticks of RAM which he is absolutely sure are compatible, and you are sure Windows is installed and configured properly, then you might have a cooling problem. Laptops are hard to repair, even for some hardware technicians. Once you have verified Windows is properly installed, I'd take the unit into an authorized repair depot for Dell to have it checked. You don't want to wait til it's too late as a new motherboard for a laptop is often almost as much as an entirely new laptop.

Shplad

quote:
Originally posted by jaz2438

I have a Dell Inspiron 3800 Laptop running xp pro. It's got a 700 megahertz chip and I was having problems with it blue screening on me. I sent it with a friend who builds pc's and he updated some things for me hoping that it would fix it. He replaced memory from 64 mb to 256 mb, replaced battery, replaced hard drive twice. I had a 6 gig and he replaced with 12 gig. He said the computer destoyed the 6 and 12 gig. He put in a 40 gig and got the computer to work for short time. Now the computer restarts after 5 minutes or so and or locks up at times. I couldn't tell you what the blue screen say's because it won't stay up long enough to see it. I did change the setting in my computer properties not to restart automatically but it still does. I noticed that my fan doesn't come on anymore. My friend told me it ran quieter since he cleaned it out but I checked and the fan does not come on. I'm wondering if the chip is getting hot so I'm going to try putting a fan next to intake  and see if it  helps. I was thinking that if there was a power supply of some sort inside that could be replaced. HELP!

jaz2438

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 05:02:24 PM »

Thanks Shplad I'll try that next!

tlpreston

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 04:31:12 AM »

Hi.  This sounds very much like a power issue.  There is a power component attached directly to the motherboard on a laptop computer.  If this is damaged it will cause the exact problems you are mentioning, and it can go on for a long time before your computer refuses to turn on.  If the computer is still under warranty you should get it replace.  If not expect that your computer will eventually never turn on again.  This component eventually melts itself to the motherboard.  This happened with my sony viao laptop.  Good luck.

jaz2438

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 03:54:50 PM »

Thanks tlpreston Can it be fixed though?

gyurika

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 05:20:49 AM »

Hi,
I was searching restart problems on Google because I am having one, and one guy after going through hell claims it was a faulty RAM. Since you had it changed... Just a thought...
When my fan went dead on my Dell they replaced the fan, plus something - that had the temperature sensor. I am not sure if that was possibly the whole motherboard... which shows you it was under warranty, otherwise I would likely remember...
Cheers, George

George
jaz2438

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 05:32:02 PM »

Thanks George. I'm not sure what to do at this point except send it in to dell.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 07:42:05 PM »

You say the fan isn't coming on anymore. This can cause the problems you're having, if the processor has a thermal sensor on it and it senses that the processor is starting to overheat it'll shutdown the computer, if the processor doesn't have a thermal sensor on it and it overheats the processor will be damaged and may never work again and can cause these kind of problems. You said that the computer destroyed a couple of hard drives, this may be a temperature or a power issue. If you can, try and go into BIOS and check your "PC Health status" or something like that and you should see the temperatures for the system, also check all of the voltages to make sure that they are at the setting they should be at. If it's not the processor or temperature, I would say it's a power issue.

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: