MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: resources!!!
December 11, 2019, 08:28:23 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2019, 08:28:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: resources!!!  (Read 656 times)
mame

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2004, 07:12:45 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:win98SE
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

How can I maintain and increase or boost the system resources on my computer and make it faster to execute and to load some application faster than ever?

shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 12:36:55 AM »

Hi mame:

Windows 98 versions, particularly ME and 98SE are famous for their
bad memory leaks, so you're certainly in good company. One of the first things that you can do is check memory statistics with a basic utility, such as Resource Monitor, included with Windows-but you may have to install the module.  Check the resource numbers before and after you run each program that you use. If you find the numbers don't bounce back a minute or so after you exit the program, Windows probably has a memory leak on your system.

While you can't fix the memory leaks in Windows, PER SE....here are a few things you can do to work around them:

You can try a memory management program (there are many for Win98). You can just add more RAM. (Though Win98 ME doesn't really manage it properly after approx. 256MB and you can even make the problem worse if you have more than 256.

Finally, you can disable startup programs that you don't absolutely need. You can use the MSCONFIG utility to do this. Be careful what you disable, however. If you're not sure, check with an expert. It's best to research each startup program carefully unless you're familiar with them.

Shplad

quote:
Originally posted by mame

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:win98SE
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

How can I maintain and increase or boost the system resources on my computer and make it faster to execute and to load some application faster than ever?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: