MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: XP crash: file recovery
July 23, 2019, 04:29:25 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2019, 04:29:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: XP crash: file recovery  (Read 5453 times)
elgordo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2004, 12:26:29 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:XP Home

XP(home) froze during av check and on reboot coldnt load up,and from CD no response. Took to friend who put it as slave to his Hd running XP home and it said there were some errors to fix which he did. Then on opening there was nothing in that partition, athough the drive showed partition(20gig) 65%full. He did have it runing as aslave to  the CD drive going into a diiferent loc on the mboard. Could this be the prblem? I need some files on that partition. Does XP have to be reloaded or can they be got at? I dont want to screw up.

have tried one suggestion for sys repair. "NTLDR is missing"  comes up and I can only do a new install. I have had this on MS board for 3 weeks without any response. Elgordo
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 09:25:53 AM by elgordo » Logged

elgordo
sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 02:48:56 AM »

Hi EG,
Try doing a repair.
Steps to Repairing Windows XP
1. Put your Windows XP Install CD into your CD-ROM drive.
2. Reboot your computer.
3. Let your system boot off of the CD.
4. Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.
5. When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.
6. Press F8 to agree to the End User License.
7. Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.
8. When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

This is the part that might scare the you-know-what out of you. The Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

Don't worry, your user data is still intact. Nothing has been lost, nothing has been deleted. Your data is safe, just the OS has been repaired, so relax.

There is nothing to worry about as long as you follow the steps to repairing Windows XP.

Sandy
elgordo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 10:06:59 AM »

Just got your message. Will try it in the morning ( its bedtime in OZ). I know how to repair, but was a bit cautious. Thanks for the response. I had the same request on the MS board for 3 weeks without one reply. This sys is a bit better.   Elgordo

elgordo
elgordo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 01:23:25 AM »

tried the repair. All that happens is a new installation: no repair.
On bootup it says "No Emulation   Press any key to boot from CD"
Then after a few seconds it says" NTLDR is missing          Press ctrl alt del to restart your computer.It seems Im missing  NTLDR.
It does go through the reinstall process however.Any ideas?Elgordo

elgordo
shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 03:46:12 AM »

elgordo:

If you are getting "ntldr is missing" then you have not properly booted from a bootable Windows CD. From which Cd did you try to boot exactly?  

I'm not clear how you say the system "went through the repair process". It cannot do that unless it has first booted from the Windows CD. Now, after the repair was finished (you did say it succeeded, right?) have you tried removing the CD to see if the unit will boot from the hard drive?

Shplad

quote:
Originally posted by elgordo

tried the repair. All that happens is a new installation: no repair.
On bootup it says "No Emulation   Press any key to boot from CD"
Then after a few seconds it says" NTLDR is missing          Press ctrl alt del to restart your computer.It seems Im missing  NTLDR.
It does go through the reinstall process however.Any ideas?Elgordo

elgordo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 10:48:07 AM »

Firstly, I have XP Home OS and CD.When I try to boot up, I get "NTLDR is missing  Press ctrl, alt, del to restsart PC".
I have set sys to boot from CD. On starting in goes thru the windows setup process, loading drivers, etc.
I initiated Repair of sys and at the command prompt of the Recovery Console (RC) I entered,<fixboot C:>
I still get NTLDR missing whether I boot with disc or from HD.I fI go for a fresh install the setup cant see any old oS and wants to format the drive. Repairing the boot file didnt seem to work.There is nothing else I can see on the RC black and white screen that enables me to go further.Please?

elgordo
sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 11:41:17 PM »

Hi EG,
Did you do what Shplad said?Did you remove the xp cd & see if it boots from the hdd?I've never seen the repair fail,even for "ntldr is missing"
Did you follow my instructions to the letter,especially step 5 thru 8?
Take care.

Sandy
elgordo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 03:21:48 AM »

Hi folks, welcome to hell.
I have tried to reboot from HD but NTLDR is missin still comes up.
I have inserted my Win XP Home CD that came with the sys.
The HD and Cd ROM are identified by mb.
On boot up it comes up "no emulation", then "press any key to boot from CD". (If a pause of more than ~5 secs then it comes up with NTLDR missing and c/alt/del to restart pc.)
Pressing key gets the Setup, blue screen and loading if files and drivers.Then "Setup is Starting Windows."
Welcome to setup....with the three options.
1.set up press enter 2. repair installation using recovery consloe press r,and 3. to quit press f3
I have gone to the recover console with the white on black screen, where typing exit restarts sys.I have typed fixboot C: and this has been done(it has identified that the bootsection is corrupt and that it is NTFS, before successfully fixing it), but still the same old problem.
I have rebooted from the HD...........nogo.
I then rebooted from XP CD and at SETUP enter choice 1 as recommended.
It then shows the HD with the 2 partitions as being available for XP installation.Pressing enter says that the partition needs to be formatted as it is "full(not), damaged or not formatted".
I have not gone past this stage at at no time did it identify another OS or give me the choice of "R" to repair.
The steps you've offered do not aopear to be associated with my CD. I tried a friend's XP Pofessional CD and it cam up with the same results. Thanks for your care, it is good to share my problem with someone. Elgordo

elgordo
sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 01:45:16 AM »

Hi EG,
I hate to say it but if nothing is working,then it looks like you'll have to wipe the hdd clean & reinstall windows.You'll lose all your info,sorry EG.
Take care.

Sandy
sixpac

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 09:56:12 PM »

A possible solution to your "No Emulation Press any key to boot from CD"

http://www.pcsupportadvisor.com/bootable_%20CD_page1.htm

You can try this for the "NTLDR" problem

In Windows XP Home/Professional and Windows 2000, you may one day turn on your computer and be greeted by this not so friendly message (NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart) after your BIOS loads.

First, get a blank floppy

Second, find a Windows NT4, 2000, or XP machine and format the floppy. (Windows 95/98/Me won't format the floppy correctly

Do not select "Quick Format" or "Create MS-DOS boot disk")

Third, download and expand the file

http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/fixntldr.zip onto a floppy.

Once your computer gets past the bios screen you should see a black screen with white letters that says:

Try this first
Try this second
Try this third
Try this fourth
Try this fifth
Try this sixth
Try this seventh
Try this eighth
ninth
tenth

This file is set up to automatically select the "Try this first" choice after 30 seconds. Try it first, but if it gives you an error and doesn't continue booting into Windows XP, try the other options.
 ("Try this first" aims for a WinXP installation to the first drive on the first partition, if yours is different, you will have to select another option. "ninth" aims for a Win98 installation on drive C, and "tenth" aims for a Win98 installation on drive D)

Note: This file assumes that your Windows XP directory is named "WINXP". This may not be the case, it can sometimes be called "Windows" or "Winnt". If that is the case open the "boot.ini" file on the floppy disk and change any reference from "WINXP" to "Windows" or "Winnt". (Or you can rename the boot.ini file to winxp.ini and rename either windows.ini or winnt.ini to boot.ini)

Once you get back into windows, go to the root of your C:\ drive and rename boot.ini to boot.ini.bak, ntldr to ntldr.bak, and ntdetect.com to ntdetect.com.bak, then copy the files that are on your floppy disk to the root of your C:\ drive. If it prompts you to overwrite a file, press "Yes".

After they have been copied over, be sure to remove the "Read-Only" attribute from the properties of the files. (Right click on a file, choose properties, and uncheck the Read-Only box).

You may also try this if you have your installation CD: (the full version of the Windows XP CD, the upgrade version is non-bootable).

Start your computer with your XP (or 2000) CD (in your BIOS "Boot Sequence" the CD-Rom will need to be accessed before the hard drive, and a dialog will appear that says "Press any key to boot from CD..." and you need to press a key on the keyboard to have it begin booting from the CD), then choose to repair a windows installation from the recovery console. Once you are logged in to your Windows installation, change to the CD drive, and enter the subdirectory \i386. Once you are there, type in copy ntldr c: to copy over ntldr to your hard drive. After this is complete, type in exit to exit the recovery console and restart your computer. Try starting your computer normally now. It should boot up. If that doesn't work, try going back into the recovery console and type: fixboot

What if I can't find a NT computer ?

Try this, Download the file

http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/fixntldr_RawRite.exe to your desktop and double click on it to have it open it's contents. (If you prefer not to download a self-extracting file, use the zip file: http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/fixntldr_RawRite.zip

Open the file named rawwritewin.exe

Then tell it to use the file fixntldr.img that is in the same directory that rawwritewin.exe is in.

Press the "..." button

Then select the "fixntldr.img" file, in the directory "fixntldr_RawRite"

Press Write:

Once it gets done writing the img file to the floppy, we should be able to take your floppy to the broken computer and switch it on. (Most computers are set up to boot from the floppy before booting to the hard drive, if yours is not you can tell it to by changing the "Boot Sequence" in the BIOS)

What is all this doing?

Well the "rawwrite" software is used to format the disk in such a way that it can be used to help boot the OS. Then it moves 5 files to the floppy drive (These files are also contained in this zip file   http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/fixntldr.zip

What's in fixntldr.zip?

Two program files copied from my Windows XP installation named "ntldr" and "ntdetect.com"
And a text file named "boot.ini" that is what you use to make the selection of which partition and disk you are trying to boot from. The contents of boot.ini are as follows:

[Boot Loader]
timeout=30
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP

[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP="Try this first" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINXP="Try this second" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINXP="Try this third" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINXP="Try this fourth" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINXP="Try this fifth" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINXP="Try this sixth" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINXP="Try this seventh" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINXP="Try this eighth" /fastdetect
C:\="ninth"
D:\="tenth"

windows.ini has "Windows" instead of WINXP, and Winnt.ini has "Winnt".

Microsoft talking about this topic:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;;Q314057
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318728
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;301680
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;119467
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315261
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;311073&
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B812492

Other people talking about stuff like this:
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBE/tip2300/rh2319.htm

« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 10:09:39 PM by sixpac » Logged

elgordo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2004, 12:29:06 PM »

Sixpac ta seems to be on right track.
problem tho....
1. When I have booted from the floppy with <fixntldr> files , I get <windows root>\system32\hal.dll      Please reinsert a copy of the above file.  How do I do that please?
2. A per instuctions I have also booted from CD and in repair modehave got to D: drive . How do I get to subdir
i386, so I can copy ntldr file.
Im getting close. Sorry for delay, but been away for a while getting married soon and am busy.
                                                                El gordo

elgordo
MrBuzzy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2004, 01:44:38 AM »

Hello as a fellow Aussie I thought it might be relevant to drop a quick post in. In the last few days I have also encountered the dreaded "NTLDR missing" message.
I have tried just about everything in the Microsoft KB articles with no success. What is really annoying me is that when I get to recovery console the NTLDR file clearly exisits on my Hard Disc. When I replaced it with the one from my XP CD the results were still exactly the same. WHAT IS WINDOWS REALLY TELLING ME when the file exisits but it reports that is does not?
I have also tried the "repair install" and fixboot with no joy.
I am going to try Sixpac's suggestions but I don't think it will work Sad I'm not giving up! Will continue to run my ****py old PC until I can find a solution for my other damaged PC.

teksupddg

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 05:58:10 PM »

you should also try replacing the ntdetect.com file.

elgordo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2004, 10:22:02 PM »

Yep, USA had floppy with ntldr and ntdetect.com,as well as boot.ini on notepad, and I get to the load up winxp or default Windows screen. After selcting XP(or the other for that matter), I get
<Windows root>\System32\hal.dll
"Please reinstall a copy of the above file.'
I have got a copy of this on a floppy, and know where it is on the XP homeCD. What is the full path to copy this to th HDD? Oh, the PC doesnt boot from HDD and there is no floppy in A drive. Thanks folks.

elgordo
slats_1

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2004, 01:48:04 PM »

If all else fails, slave your hard drive into another machine to retrieve your data.  Then complete a fresh install.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: