MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Setting up Dual Boot using Partition Magic
April 06, 2020, 07:39:47 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 06, 2020, 07:39:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Setting up Dual Boot using Partition Magic  (Read 1072 times)
prinderell

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2004, 01:08:40 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows ME
Problem Application Name & Version: Partition Magic 8.0
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Greeting
I have a 4 year old HP xt878 computer which came stock with Windows Me OS. I want to run my new Ipod software and the latest version of Adobe Photoshop so I thought it would be smart to add another operating system onto my existing drive. I chose Windows XP as the new OS. I plan to keep the old OS as well so I bought Partition Magic 8.0 which also includes the Boot Magic utility. After installing both, I ran the wizard to install the new OS. When I get the point of the installation where XP asks to pick a partition in which to install the new OS, only one partition is shown. From the wizard previously run in Partition Magic it seems that I should have created a second partition, but it doesn't seem like the XP installation steps are recognizing a second partition. In other words, it looks like the new OS will overwrite the old OS, which is definately something I don't wish to do. I've read and reread the Partition Magic and Boot Magic install instructions, but it just doesn't seem to address what I'm seeing on the screen.
Does anyone know if I'm supposed to install the drive on the one partition shown, or is there some other step I've somehow missed that would make it so both partitions are shown?
Thanks for any help.
Gary Gable

sixpac

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 09:23:36 PM »

Dual or Multi Booting Your PC
Using Powerquest`s Partition Magic.
(Single, Clean Hard Drive)

Firstly if you are using a clean, formatted Hard Drive, install the first operating
system that you want to use. Once you have this running & configured with all
appropriate drivers, install PowerQuest Partition Magic, ensure that you also choose
to install Boot Magic at the same time. Be sure to create the emergency boot disks
when requested.

Reboot your system & run Partition Magic.

Choose the option to Create a Partition. Make this as a Primary Partition & choose the
size that you would like it to be. Don

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: