MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Windows 98 won't load
April 05, 2020, 03:30:08 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 05, 2020, 03:30:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 98 won't load  (Read 1604 times)
MYSTery

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2004, 01:34:46 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows 98
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Have a HP pavilion comp., Windows 98, 466 mhz processor, 319 Ram, and the CD-rom stopped working. Got an external CD-rewritter backpack. Downloaded the driver from their site. Hooked up the cd-rewriter. It assigned the D letter to it. Restarted.  Everything looked great, worked fine. Then installed my son's CD. It installed it, then required direct x and media player to be installed as well (wasn't sure if we had those on there already) so clicked okay. It then said to restart, I did. And now, Windows will not load. I get the logon box, hear the happy little music, see the background image and even a  quick flash of the task bar, then nothing. Have tried to start in safe mode, still nothing. Have tried to use the restore points in DOS mode (scanreg/restore), still nothing. I did notice when I do the ctrl alt delete, the task manager does not show explorer running, only some of the utilities of the antivirus program and something called hidserv. I hope someone can please help me...? So frustrating!

sixpac

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 04:09:21 PM »

hidserv.exe (Human Interface Device Service) It is an official Windows file,
 is a background service that provides support for USB audio devices and USB multimedia keyboards.

What was the name of the CD (your son's) you installed ?, was it a game ?

You could boot to safe mode and use the Add/Remove to uninstall what you just installed, not a solution but worth a try.

MYSTery

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 05:53:02 PM »

The CD was a kids game (Bob the Builder).

Can't do the uninstall in safe mode, because I experience the same prob. in safe mode as well. The only thing I can get into is the DOS or boot mode.

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 01:36:19 AM »

Hi M,
Try doing a dirty install(install windows over itself),this way you won't lose any info.It usually works at least 50% of the time.
To install windows over itself boot the computer with a bootdisk and choose cdrom support. At the a:\> prompt type: e:\setup and enter, where e: is your cdrom drive letter. It may be different depending on the bootdisk you use.The rest of the installation should continue normally. Your drivers should be recognized as they were previously.

An over the top installation like this will replace your DirectX with the version that comes with the 98 cd. So after installing 98 you'll need to reinstall your DirectX, assuming you want to use a newer version.
Take care.

Sandy
MYSTery

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 03:11:22 PM »

I don't have a boot disk Sad  All I have is a recovery CD.

MYSTery

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 06:04:40 PM »

Here is another thing (don

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: