MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Restart Problem
September 17, 2019, 03:35:26 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2019, 03:35:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Restart Problem  (Read 624 times)
wee wizard

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2004, 04:08:27 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:WinME
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I am having problems with a new pc, during installation of Windows ME you are restarted several times during the install. It closes down fine and when it goes to power on self test it just stops without displaying any type of message at all and no bleeps either.

To get the computer to boot up again, it has to be left off for 10 to 15mins before it will restart and does not give any messages regarding failed previous attempts at restarting.

I did manage to complete the operating system install after a very long time.

And it behaved exactly the same when I was installing all new drivers which requires you to restart computer to get all these peripherals recognized.

The computer fan can be heard running at start the power on self test mode but nothing on screen at all, I just have to leave it for ten or fifteen minutes and then it allows me to start up without even running scandisk Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh???

shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 04:19:46 AM »

weewizard:

No, scandisk is not likely to help you here. Remember that there are two parts to the computer's booting (not true, but I'm simplifying to make a point.)  First is pure hardware, POST etc. Second is loading the operating system. If you can't get the POST to work properly, the operating system and what's on the hard drive is irrelevant, because you haven't even reached that stage in booting yet.

I would think the problem would be in one of several areas.

HEAT.  Check the power supply fan (again) to see if it stays on all the time or if it switches off at some point.  Also check inside to see if the fan on the CPU is running constantly.

POWER. Is the unit plugged into any kind of power bar or anything other than the wall outlet? This can create some very bizarre erratic and intermittent symptoms, especially when the machine has power management enabled. If it's not plugged in directly, remove the plug and let the machine sit 10 or 15 minutes before plugging it directly into the wall.

Once you can get the Power On Self Test working properly again, try going into the setup utility and checking for a boot sector virus checker function (Your manual should also indicate if there is). If there is one, make sure you disable it, and then save the changes and reboot.

If these things fail, your problem is probably a hardware one, and you should get back to us with what you've found so far.

Keep us posted.

Shplad

quote:
Originally posted by wee wizard

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:WinME
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I am having problems with a new pc, during installation of Windows ME you are restarted several times during the install. It closes down fine and when it goes to power on self test it just stops without displaying any type of message at all and no bleeps either.

To get the computer to boot up again, it has to be left off for 10 to 15mins before it will restart and does not give any messages regarding failed previous attempts at restarting.

I did manage to complete the operating system install after a very long time.

And it behaved exactly the same when I was installing all new drivers which requires you to restart computer to get all these peripherals recognized.

The computer fan can be heard running at start the power on self test mode but nothing on screen at all, I just have to leave it for ten or fifteen minutes and then it allows me to start up without even running scandisk Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh???

« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 04:23:23 AM by shplad » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: