MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Phone rings, computer boots up.
November 20, 2019, 10:40:03 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2019, 10:40:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Phone rings, computer boots up.  (Read 1961 times)
jobber

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2004, 02:28:13 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows98SE
Problem Application Name & Version: Wake up.
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Pace Solo Modem
Error Messages:

I have a Pace Solo external modem that has been working fine for a number of years. I must have made some changes to some settings and now every time the phone rings the computer switches on. The computer is not in sleep mode when this happens. It is actually shut down. How can I turn this off. Any ideas.
Thanks John.

Dizzy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 06:08:14 PM »

Hi John,

Welcome to My Tech Support. Grin

I'm afraid your computer is possessed of the devil.  You must call a priest and have it exorcised.

Okay, not really, I couldn't help myself. Grin

You need to check the settings in BIOS and see if you have Wake On Modem or Wake On LAN enabled.

If you need any help with this, just post back with what type of computer/BIOS you have.

All the best,
Dizzy

I am a "One Off Gem."

Just ask My Julian. [Cheesy]
jobber

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 07:48:50 PM »

Hi Dizzy, thanks for the reply.
BIOS frightens the life out of me but I took a deep breath and had a look. It is Award BIOS but I can't see any options in there to disable Wake on Modem so I'm a bit lost now.  
The computer I'm having this problem with is an elderly Pentium II 233. I have not ventured into the shadowy world of BIOS before so whatever setting I've accidentally altered, I've altered in Windows.
By the way, thanks for the welcome.
Regards John.

Dizzy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 01:22:45 AM »

Hi John,

Don't let BIOS scare you, there is really nothing to it.  You can always exit without saving your changes or even go back in later and put things back they way they were (restore defaults).  You can write down any changes you make so that you can put them back later.  No worries, everything will be Groovy. Grin

Go ahead and get back into BIOS and look for something called "Wake Up By PCI Card/LAN" then "Power On By Ring" - you should be able to disable it there.  Then save your changes and exit.

I've found a page with a screen shot for you so you can see what I mean.  Look Here.

If you get in there and don't see anything like the above, just write down what you do see, exit without saving changes and post back here.

As a side note (getting ready for a possible next step...)... how long has this been happening?

Dizzy

I am a "One Off Gem."

Dizzy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 01:28:28 AM »

So sorry,,,,,the link I left above is in German. [:O]  Try this instead:   * edit:  broken link  ...trying again*

**Yet another edit**

I flat cannot get this link to work.  The above page may be in German, but the screenshot is in English so you should be able to see what I'm talking about.  If you need the page translated, just ask and I will get to it as soon as possible.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 01:32:32 AM by Dizzy » Logged

I am a "One Off Gem."

jobber

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 04:26:13 PM »

Hi Dizzy,
I looked in the Bios and in Power Management. The entries in there are as follows.

ROM PCI/ISA BIOS (2A69JG09)
               Power Management Setup
                 Award Software Inc

Power management-           Disable.    | *Reload Global Timer Events*
Pwr Mangnt control by APM-  No          | IRQ(3-7,9-15),NMI-  Enabled
Suspend mode-               Disable     | Primary IDE 0-      Disabled
HDD Power down-             Disable     |     "    "  1-      Disabled
Supend mode options-        Pwr suspend | Secondary IDE 0-    Disabled
VGA active monitor-         Disabled    |     "      "  1-    Disabled
Soft off by pwr Bttn-       Instant off | Floppy Disk -       Enabled
CPU off in suspend-         Disabled    | Serial port-        Enabled
Resume by alarm-            Disabled    | Parallel port-      Disabled

Well you did say write down and post it. I hope this means something to you because it doesn't to me.
This problem seemed to start about 2 months ago when I was messing around with printer settings whilst trying to help a friend get his printer working. I must have changed some setting somewhere.
Really appreciate your help.
John.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: