MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Windows 95/98 Boots Directly to "Shut Down" Screen
October 16, 2019, 08:49:01 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 16, 2019, 08:49:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 95/98 Boots Directly to "Shut Down" Screen  (Read 906 times)
asunder

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2004, 02:36:38 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Win98SE
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

This only happens when I choose normal mode. Safe mode isn't affected. I checked microsoft's site and this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141898 didn't help at all. Yes, I tried it twice. Any ideas how to fix this?

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 07:26:15 PM »

Hi A,
Try restoring the registry.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221512&Product=w98
If this doesn't work,try a dirty install.This will reinstall windows over itself & you wouldn't lose any of your programs or info.
To install windows over itself boot the computer with a bootdisk and choose cdrom support. At the a:\> prompt type:

ren c:\windows\win.com win.old

and enter. This renames the win.com file so you can use the full version cd. Then at the dos prompt type:

e:\setup

and enter, where e: is your cdrom drive letter. It may be different depending on the bootdisk you use.

If the setup asks if you want to replace your current OS or exit setup, choose to replace.

When it asks what directory to install windows to it will default to windows.000 because it detects you already have a directory named 'windows'. Choose other directory and change the installation directory back to windows.

The rest of the installation should continue normally. Your drivers should be recognized as they were previously.

An over the top installation like this will replace your DirectX with the version that comes with the 98 cd. So after installing 98 you'll need to reinstall your DirectX, assuming you want to use a newer version.
Take care.

Sandy
asunder

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 02:19:44 AM »

Thanks, I'll try that.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: