MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Drives do not function when IDE cables connected
September 16, 2019, 09:12:09 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2019, 09:12:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Drives do not function when IDE cables connected  (Read 1154 times)
Chips

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2004, 10:30:42 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Home
Problem Application Name & Version:ABIT VI7 motherboard
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Seagate Hard Drive, Justlink CD-ROM Drive, generic floppy disk drive
Error Messages:

This is my first computer build. I have had the system up and running but problems occurred which required installation of new RAM memory. The problem is as follows:

When the IDE cables are plugged into the motherboard and the drives the drives do not function. The green light on the motherboard comes on, the front lights on the pc case come on but the drives seem dead and without power.

When the IDE cables are unplugged and the power turned on the drives apparently work. At least the hard drive, a Seagate 40GB, sounds like it is working and the drawer on the CD-ROM drive will open and close.

The CMOS has been cleared several times, the IDE cable connections have been checked, rechecked and checked again. The screws on the motherboard have been loosened a bit and the motherboard checked to make sure it is not touching the pc case at any point.

If anyone has any answers, suggestions, advice or comments it will be much appreciated.

Chips

clam

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 07:40:25 PM »

I dont have an answer but instead i have a question for u.  How do u clear CMOS.

Chips

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 08:25:20 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by clam

I dont have an answer but instead i have a question for u.  How do u clear CMOS.

There is a jumper someplace on your motherboard, you will have to look at the manual for your board to find it. Or you can usual find a manual or instructions for your specific board using a Google to search the Internet.

If your system is working the jumper is in the "normal" position. On the motherboard I have in place moving the jumper over one pin and leaving it there for a minute or two clears the CMOS. Then the jumper is returned to the normal or default position.

But you will have to use the manual for your motherboard to know where to find the pins and where to place the jumper.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 08:40:33 PM »

Hi,

Sounds like the ribbon cable is on backwards at one end.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Chips

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 09:11:55 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Hi,

Sounds like the ribbon cable is on backwards at one end.

It sounds like it but it is not. I have checked the ribbon cables numerous times thinking one might be reversed. Such is not the case though.

Appreciate your message and attempt to help.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 11:35:55 PM »

I know this may sound obvious but did you verify your master/slave jumper settings on all devices?

What devices are on the primary IDE  and on the secondary IDE connector?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Chips

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 01:00:58 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by Admin

I know this may sound obvious but did you verify your master/slave jumper settings on all devices?

What devices are on the primary IDE  and on the secondary IDE connector?

Yes, I have verified the master/slave jumper settings on all devices.

I have tried various connections for primary and secondary IDE. Initially I had CD-ROM drive and hard drive on one IDE cable. I have also tried the hard drive with one IDE cable to the primary IDE connector on the motherboard. And also with one IDE cable from the hard drive to the primary IDE connector and another IDE cable from the CD-ROM to the secondary connector on the motherboard. No matter what combination or order tried, if the IDE cables are plugged into the motherboard the drives are not active. Or in operation.

My thinking now is that I have shorted out, or blown out, the motherboard. Yet the green glow light comes on for the motherboard and the front lights on the PC case come on. But with the drives connected to the motherboard there is no activity on the drives at all.

It might be the CPU processor but I am doubtful about that. This darn situation is driving me up the wall.

Appreciate your comments and suggestions. I guess I may order a new motherboard tomorrow if I cannot ascertain what the problem might be.

Chips

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 04:06:06 PM »

Originally posted by Chips

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Home
Problem Application Name & Version:ABIT VI7 motherboard
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Seagate Hard Drive, Justlink CD-ROM Drive, generic floppy disk drive

When the IDE cables are plugged into the motherboard and the drives the drives do not function. The green light on the motherboard comes on, the front lights on the pc case come on but the drives seem dead and without power.

When the IDE cables are unplugged and the power turned on the drives apparently work. At least the hard drive, a Seagate 40GB, sounds like it is working and the drawer on the CD-ROM drive will open and close.

The CMOS has been cleared several times, the IDE cable connections have been checked, rechecked and checked again. The screws on the motherboard have been loosened a bit and the motherboard checked to make sure it is not touching the pc case at any point.

Chips

Just wanted to add that this morning I put the CPU chip in another computer and it ran fine. Soooooooooo.....the motherboard is bad or the IDE cables are bad. I think it is the motherboard.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: