MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Infuriating network problems
October 16, 2019, 12:31:51 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 16, 2019, 12:31:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Infuriating network problems  (Read 1091 times)
STEVIE08

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2004, 09:26:19 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:XP
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Hi All
I have a majorly frustrating problem and would love it if someone could help.
I have two pc's at home which are connected on a home network.  The network seem to work fine.  I can share files and printers etc. I can't share the internet connection but that seems to be due to AOL8 not supporting ICS. ( I know nobody likes AOL but broadband is due to the area anymonth now and I can't be bothered changing everything twice Embarrassed)

Anyway, there seems to be two problems and I am not sure if they are connected.
 1.  Whenever the 2nd pc is switched on at the same time as the host pc the internet connection is started.  As I said I cannot view the internet on the second pc so I have no idea why it can start AOL.
 2.  If I play games over the network they eventually crash. Angry
They games work fine when played on either computer individually it is only if it is played multiplayer.  This is really annoying especially when I am winning Grin.  The games we play are quite old and should not challenge either machine particularly ( Dungeon Keeper 2 and Settlers 4).

The host pc has the following specs
2.8Gz processor
512 MB RAM
128 MB Graphics Card
100/10T Ethernet
XP Home

The 2nd pc has the following specs
1.3 GHz processor
256 MB RAM
64 MB Graphics Card
100/10T Ethernet
XP Professional

I was wondering if maybe the difference in the processor speeds was the problem.  I have tried deleting the network connection and re-establishing it but it makes no difference

Please Help

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 10:28:54 AM »

Hey,

The first problem looks like the second PC is trying to connect to the interent through your host PC even though it doesn't work properly. If you have any settings on the second PC for ICS try turning them off to see if that works, and check the host PC as well to make sure it's not trying to share the connection.

The second problem is not unusual but it can be beacuse of a number of different things. The processor speeds shouldn't make a difference, I have a 2.08Ghz Pc, a 633Mhz and a 900Mhz Pc and they all run multipalyer games such as Medal of honor ok.
The problem may be connected to the internet problem, maybe the second PC is trying to connect to the internet during the game and this could cause the crash. Try disabling dial-up before starting network games.

I hope this helps some, but if not post back here and I'll try to help some more.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: