MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: W2K Server config problem
October 14, 2019, 07:29:16 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 14, 2019, 07:29:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: W2K Server config problem  (Read 927 times)
dtaverner

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2004, 05:53:58 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:W2K Server SP4 version 5 build 2195
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Event Viewer errors:
 system registry,
service control manager, "the remote access connection administrator service ended with an error, connection denied"
RasMan, error in starting the remote access connection manager, becuase the buffers could not be created. Access Denied"+

These are the only error messages I have found. The problem I have is that network access is very shaky, and internet access is also variable. The connection to both network and internet is via a 3com router and ADSL connection. The connection is sometimes very slow and usually quite slow.
The PC is a server, with 1 remote PC attached (a home network) The Server has W2K Server installed with Active Directory. DNS and DCHP are enabled, and I have gone through the configuration carefully, and I dont think Ive missed anything, but obviously something is wrong.

I have also replaced the hard drive with a new seagate 40GB drive, and uncreased ram TO 256, also Ive replaced the video card. I dont think there are any hardware problems, as normal operation of the pc is OK.

Anyy ideas?
thanks in advance
DT

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 02:38:44 PM »

Hi,

Your error messages are related to RAS. If you're not using RAS, then disable the service.

For the slowness problem. I would make sure to have the latest NIC drivers and set the NIC speed to 100mhz/Full as opposed to Auto-Negotiate for the network connection.

See what that does.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
dtaverner

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 03:21:49 PM »

Hi,
being a bit green in this area, can you tell me how to access the NIC properties and modify them?
DT

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 04:59:45 PM »

Hi,

1. Right click "My Network Places" and select "Properties" from the desktop
2. Right click your "Local Area Connnection" and select "Properties"
3. Select the "configure" button from the "General" tab
4. Select the "Advanced" tab
5. Find and select something like "Link Speed & Duplex" from the list (this may be different depending on your NIC drivers)
6. Select "100Mbps/Full Duplex" and hit OK

Did you update your NIC drivers?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
dtaverner

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 08:25:37 AM »

Hi,
thanks for your advice. I have updated the NIC drivers as you recommended (Realtek)and then I have adjusted the settings. However, if I choose 100mbs/full duplex, I get an error, that "the cable is disconnected" This is corrected by choosing 10/mbs, full duplex.
I am now working on this, and I must say that there seems to be an improvement.
what does the error mean? Is that the limit of the NIC (10 Mbs) Should i replace it with a newer/faster card?
thanks,
DT

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: