MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: PAVILION GRAPHICS UPGRADE-OR NOT!
November 21, 2019, 04:09:42 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2019, 04:09:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PAVILION GRAPHICS UPGRADE-OR NOT!  (Read 1018 times)
DEKKER20

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2004, 09:21:43 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:WINDOWS 98 SE (BUILD 4.10.2222)
Problem Application Name & Version:

MAIN CIRCUIT BOARD: ASUS MEBVM 1.01.

BIOS: PHOENIX TECHNOLOGIES LTD 1.10 06/25/99:

PROCESSOR 466 MHZ INTEL CELERON
32 KB PRIMARY MEMORY CACHE
128 KB SECONDARY MEMORY CACHE
ON BOARD GRAPHICS BY ATI? RAGE PRO

Problem Hardware Make & Model:
MSI FX5700-TD128,128M DDR,DVI-I GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR
Error Messages:NONE (NO MONITOR TO DISPLAY MESSAGE) BUT BEEPS MAY BE MEANINGFUL IF BIOS IS 4.0 RELEASE 6. THEN PHOENIX POST Task Routines SAYS:-
CODE 98h 1-2 Search for option ROMs. One long, two short beeps on
checksum failure.

I HAVE JUST BOUGHT THE ABOVE GRAPHICS CARD AND TRIED TO INSTALL IT INTO MY HP PAVILLION 8520(UK)WHICH HAS THE ASUS MOBO WITH SHARED GRAPHICS.
I HAVE UNINSTALLED AND DISABLED THE CURRENT VIDEO CHIPSET (RAGE PRO) AND REPLACED THIS WITH THE STANDARD DISPLAY ADAPTER (VGA)AND UNCHECKED THE EXISTS IN ALL HARDWARE PROFILES CHECK BOX.
I HAVE THEN FITTED THE MSI GRAPHICS CARD, PLUGGED THE MONITOR LEAD INTO THE NEW CARD PORT AND BOOTED THE MACHINE.
THE COMPUTER BEGINS TO BOOT-UP BUT AFTER A FEW SECONDS I HEAR BEEEP-BEEP BEEP AND THE MONITOR (HP M50) POWER LIGHT CHANGES FROM GREEN TO AMBER (ON TO STAND-BY) AND NOTHING IS VISIBLE ON SCREEN.
SWITCHED EVERYTHING OFF, PLUGGED THE MONITOR BACK INTO THE ORIGINAL VIDEO OUT PORT AND RESTARTED, THE SAME THING AS IN 2 OCCURED.
SHUT DOWN AGAIN THEN TOOK OUT THE "NEW" VIDEO CARD AND RESTARTED, EVERYTHING OK, BUT THE NEW CARD IS ON MY DESK AND NOT IN THE COMPUTER!!
HAVE I MISSED SOMETHING.
IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN KEEP POWER ON THE MONITOR TO SEE WHAT THE NEW CARD IS DOING IF ANYTHING.
I TRIED INSTALLING THE SOFTWARE FIRST AND THEN THE CARD BUT THE SOFTWARE NEEDS TO DETECT THE CARD BEFORE INSTALLATION, SO THIS IS A BIT OF A CATCH 22 SITUATION.
ALL OFFERS OF HELP WILL BE MOST APPRECIATED    
I HAVE GONE THROUGH THE FIRST STEP SEVERAL TIMES AND HAVE CHANGED THE GRAPHICS SETTING FROM PCI TO AGP (MSI CARD IS AGP)STILL GET CODE 98h One long, two short beeps.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 02:45:24 PM by DEKKER20 » Logged

DEKKER20

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 10:55:02 AM »

OK Iv'e taken advice from some computer guru's and their conclusion is this:-
the mobo probably will only support 4x graphics - not 8x ( It should have plugged and played, no need for messing with BIOS or jumpers)Although they admit that they do not have knowledge of this particular mobo, it's their "best guess"
that the current psu is probably not up to supplying sufficient power for the upgrade graphics card and the already added cd rw and second hard drive as well as the original equipment.
possible solutions:-
Upgrade mobo. This would mean that a much higher spec card would be supporting "old" technology, unless the processor were changed too.
Also if the processor were changed then why run Windows 98 when the system would be capable of supporting windows 2000 or XP. (Can you see where this is going!) Upgrade psu and possibly fan
Give up trying to upgrade an aging machine and buy a basic unit which will be capable of far more than an upgraded geriatric.
Sometimes you just have to know when to stop giving CPR.

HP Pavilion 8520 will have it's 240v life support switched off next week.
Option 2 has been excercised and I have purchased a computer which has the following:-
Specification:

- AMD ATHLON XP2500+
- AMD Motherboard
- 256MB DDR333 PC2700 Ram
- 80GB 7200rpm IDE Hard Disk Drive with 2Mb Buffer
- 48x CD-Recorder & 16x DVD Combo Drive
- 3.5" 1.44Mb Floppy Disk Drive
- Integrated 64Mb AGP Graphics Controller + 4x AGP Slot for future upgrades
- 3 x PCI Slots
- 1 x AGP Slot (4x)
- Integrated 10/100 Lan/Broadband Adaptor
- Integrated Sound Card with 5.1 Channel Surround
- 56.6k Hardware PCI Fax/Modem
- ATX Midi Tower Case with 350 Watt Power Supply
- 6 x USB2.0 Ports (4 on back, 2 on front)
- 200 Watt Mains Powered Speakers
- PS/2 Wheel Mouse
- PS/2 Keyboard with additional Windows Functionality
- 12 Months Collect & Return Hardware Warranty
- XP HOME O/S (OEM)
- Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 2004- Full Version OEM
- NO MONITOR

TOTAL COST

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: