MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Wireless Network
December 09, 2019, 06:53:32 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 09, 2019, 06:53:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wireless Network  (Read 916 times)
rbtr8r

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2004, 11:52:22 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:  Windows 98 SE
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Thanks for your reply.  It has prompted me to set down a complete list of the wired/wireless connections so as to better help those who are tying to help me.

1.   Both the modem and the router are next to each other on top of the desk where PC # 1 is located.  The modem provided by my DSL provider is a Speedstream.  The modem has 4 lights on the front marked Power, DSL, USB, and ENET.  All but DSL are lighted.  The router is a D-Link DI-624.  There is a cable  from the DSL jack in the wall to the modem.
2.   There is a cable from the modem to the router WAN port.
3.   There is a cable from the modem USB port to the USB port on the back of PC # 1.  If I disconnect the cable from the USB port on the back of PC # 1 and hook it, instead to the USB port on the back of PC # 3 (the laptop) I can get into the internet from # 3, which is the whole objective, after the telephone tech people talked me through the process of installing Enternet software in # 3.  Of course, I have to bring # 3 to within a USB cable length of # 2 to make this work and I have to detach the USB cable from # 2 through a whole in the back of the desk on which # 2 sits.  Not a pleasant task.
4.   There is another cable from the Router WAN # 1 port to the adapter I installed in PC # 1.  The adapter is a D-Link DFE-530TX+ Fast Ethernet PCI adapter.
5.   I installed a D-Link DWL-G520 802.11g Wireless PCI adapter into PC # 2 which permits it to get the signal from PC # 1 without any problem.
6.   The big problem was getting a wireless signal being emitted by the router located at PC # 1 to the wireless adapter that was inserted into PC # 3.  I have spent untold hours with D-Link techs trying to get PC # 3 to work and they have, over the space of at lest 20 hours, given up after having me return the PC # 3 adapter and getting a new one, bringing my Windows 98 SE software up to date, downloading a new BIOS from IBM and installing it, making entries in my TCP/IP Properties, trying numerous PING tests, etc, etc

All of the above was dictated by my telephone company

Bernard Levine
rbtr8r

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 08:53:57 AM »

Does anyone out there know the answer?

Bernard Levine
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: