MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Wireless Devices Problems arrow Topic: Wireless camera problems
June 05, 2020, 12:02:34 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2020, 12:02:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wireless camera problems  (Read 2494 times)
MikeF1986

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2004, 09:45:08 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Professional
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I have a P4 desktop with lots of HD space and 512 mb RAM connected to a cable modem via a D-link wireless router. Using XP pro. Appears to work flawlessly. Also have a Toshiba laptop which connects to the internet wirelessly with no apparent problems.

I recently decided to set up a camera for surveillance. Wanted it to be able to detect motion and then capture a picure and send it somewhere (either an email or to a WEB site).

First I tried an x-10 camera. The camera worked fine and could transmit a picture to my TV. To send it to my PC, I needed to use a USB adapter(model VA11A USB Adapter). Couldn't get it to work. several calls to the helpdesk resulted in no help and they decided their equipment was at fault and sent out a new USB adapter - still didn't work. Wasn't terribly excited about the product anymore becasue by then I had realized that the PC need to be on 24/7 in order for the surveillance system to work.  No one was able to identify why it wouldn't work. The interface between the image receiver and the computer would have been USB.

Now I tried a new Linksys Wireless-B WVC11B camera. This one will take pictures and send a stream through it's own wirless connection to my router and out to wherever it is directed without the computer having to be on. However, the camera could not be configured correctly. A call to tech support tried lots of ways to communicate with the camera but could not and told me to return the camera. The interface here would have been wireless to the router and bypassed the PC.

It seems unlikey that two systems would fail - But the problems seem to me to be unrelated.  Does anyone see any possible common thread between these two problems?

Mike
shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 10:30:30 AM »

Mike:

As unlikely as it seems to most, I believe the two problems were unrelated. So much equipment is pumped out of the design and testing labs so quickly these days, that I see many people buy equipment only to return it again and again and again.

I see that the WVC11B sports both Wi-Fi and wired ethernet interfaces to the network. Did you try both? I suspect you'd be less likely to have problems if you tried the wired ethernet interface, since the standard is so well developed, and there's less to go wrong.

Shplad

quote:
Originally posted by MikeF1986

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Professional
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I have a P4 desktop with lots of HD space and 512 mb RAM connected to a cable modem via a D-link wireless router. Using XP pro. Appears to work flawlessly. Also have a Toshiba laptop which connects to the internet wirelessly with no apparent problems.

I recently decided to set up a camera for surveillance. Wanted it to be able to detect motion and then capture a picure and send it somewhere (either an email or to a WEB site).

First I tried an x-10 camera. The camera worked fine and could transmit a picture to my TV. To send it to my PC, I needed to use a USB adapter(model VA11A USB Adapter). Couldn't get it to work. several calls to the helpdesk resulted in no help and they decided their equipment was at fault and sent out a new USB adapter - still didn't work. Wasn't terribly excited about the product anymore becasue by then I had realized that the PC need to be on 24/7 in order for the surveillance system to work.  No one was able to identify why it wouldn't work. The interface between the image receiver and the computer would have been USB.

Now I tried a new Linksys Wireless-B WVC11B camera. This one will take pictures and send a stream through it's own wirless connection to my router and out to wherever it is directed without the computer having to be on. However, the camera could not be configured correctly. A call to tech support tried lots of ways to communicate with the camera but could not and told me to return the camera. The interface here would have been wireless to the router and bypassed the PC.

It seems unlikey that two systems would fail - But the problems seem to me to be unrelated.  Does anyone see any possible common thread between these two problems?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: