MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Portable Devices arrow Topic: Toshiba laptop does nothing when turned on
November 13, 2019, 07:44:05 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 13, 2019, 07:44:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Toshiba laptop does nothing when turned on  (Read 3626 times)
hazwyatt

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2004, 05:08:27 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

hazwyatt

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 05:20:04 PM »

Sorry guys: can't believe I left the message blank - stupid accident.

OK...

OS - Windows XP Pro
Hardware - Toshiba Satellite 4100 - 103

This laptop does nothing when turned on - definitely has power and the light comes on when I press the power button but nothing - no whirring, reassuring noise absolutely nothing. Does anyone know why this is?

Is it something to do with the motherboard - if so how can I fix it and does anyone know what the motherboard is or how I can find out?

Thanks

beardos amigos

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 10:07:40 AM »

On all toshibas you should have a number of led lights at the front. I think the order is:

1. Mains Power
2. System on / off
3. Battery indicator
4. Hard Drive Activity
5. Select Bay (CD Drive / Secondry Hard Drive) Activity
6. Bluetooth / Wireless Activation

If when you turn the laptop on and dont get any light come on indicating Hard Drive Activity (LED 4) then you either have a faulty system board or HD. Try removing the HD from the laptop, check the connections etc and put it back in and give that a go. If that fails then you unfortunately have a buggered laptop.

Darran Beard
hazwyatt

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 03:35:34 PM »

Thanks - One more question - can i make anyhing happen on the laptop without a hard drive - using a floppy disk or cd? I'm pretty sure the HD is buggered, but the floppy drive and dvd drive seem to be ok - I'd just like to test that the laptop is actually OK before I try to get another HD.

beardos amigos

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 11:09:16 AM »

If you have a bootable CD - with windows on or something, try putting that in. If it boots up to that then the CD drive is fine. Your probably gonna need a new HD. One Tip, stay away from the IBM TRAVELSTAR disks - we have had loads die on us recently and if you search the net, you will find they have a bad reputation. All of our toshiba laptops unfortunatley came with one, check to see what make of disk you have already....

Darran Beard
jphillips

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 04:26:49 AM »

hazwyatt,
2 questions for you,
1. have you done anything different, fdisk, reformat etc.
2. if you have, did your laptop come with a toshiba set up disk or any thing like that.

hazwyatt

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 04:12:48 PM »

I'm pretty certain the motherboard is broken, so cannot really be bothered to do anything with it now, may have a look around for motherboard but don't hold out much hope. Thanks for all your help guys!

PS, nope haven't done anything to hard drive and have lost the disks.

AmmarSh

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 08:58:28 AM »

I have the same problems....but my system will not boot either from a CD or floppy.........what could be the problem? Its a Toshiba 1800 windows XP SP2. I did upgrade the BIOS after the system started hanging for no reason and the system log from event viewer showed the ACPI error(trying to access XXXX address range).
Now the power LED just comes on and nothing happens but the processor fan starts working on its own after a while.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: