MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Won't boot after PSU change.
October 13, 2019, 08:29:06 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 13, 2019, 08:29:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Won't boot after PSU change.  (Read 1271 times)
NewTechGuy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2004, 01:39:35 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows XP HE
Problem Application Name & Version:Super Flower 350 watt
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Power Supply
Error Messages:None

Recently I replaced the power supply in my computer and then my computer refused to bootup. When I try to bootup my computer just turns on, and nothing else. My monitor screen doesn't even get a picture which I'm assuming means that it isn't getting a "signal". The monitor remains black with nothing ever showing up (not even the text during the bootup screens) and the little light on a monitor that indicates that it is "on" just flashes like they do when you shut off your computer and forget to turn off your monitor. So I replaced the video card with a spare one. Same problem. I've used a different monitor. Same problem. And I have also used a different harddrive. But as you guessed it. Same problem.

I've reseated all my Ram, the CPU, and all of the ribbon connections about 10 times to ensure they did not come loose during the power supply change. Still nothing. As a last resort I reinstalled my old power supply system (which was working but old and NOISY) and it never helped. I haven't added any new devices such as more hard drives or things like that.

Any suggestions? I'm at my wits end.

Thanks for any assistance. I need an adult drink.....

I use Ad-aware, SpyBot S&D, SpywareBlaster and AVG Antivirus.
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 06:00:33 PM »

Hey,

What PSU did you have in the computer before and what did you replace it with? Does the computer beep at all when you turn it on? Can you see lights on the mobo and on the HDD when you turn it on? If you have a fna on the CPU, does it work?

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
NewTechGuy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 09:51:01 PM »

Looks like I took out an "A-Open PSU" and replaced it with a "Super Flower PSU". When I FIRST changed it, my computer beeped long beeps and my HDD light would flicker (like it does) until the beeping started and then  there was no more beeping, nothing onscreen, and it just "stalled". After reseating everything (RAM and CPU) it no longer beeps and the hard drive light no longer flickers. I went from a 235 Watt PSU to a 350 Watt PSU that is compatible with both AMD Athlon and Pentium 4 computers.

I'm kinda thinking I either fried the motherboard, the CPU, or the RAM. Just not sure how to determine which. Thanks for your assitance.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 12:35:24 AM »

Hi,

Continuous long beeps usually indicate a power supply, motherboard or keyboard problem. So it looks like there might have been a problem with the PSU. I'd check over everything once more just to make sure you didn't miss something. Look at the connectors on the PSU to see if there are any burn marks. When you press the power button now, what exactly happens? Do you see any lights on the mobo? Do any fans spin?

NewTechGuy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 10:28:06 PM »

Okay so, I did what you suggested (check everyhting over once more) and I discovered that when I reseated my RAM at one time... that I put it back in the wrong slots (I have 3 slots). So, when I put them back where they were supposed to go then I got my bootup screen back. So now all I get is that message we've all see before
BOOT DISC FAILURE... I'm fairly certain I can troubleshoot it from here.

But I'd like to say thanks to you Ross for suggesting once more that I recheck everything. Cause I wasn't gonna do it as I had dome it a number of times. The difference this time was that I decided to take everything out and try again because of your suggestion. And although I admit now that I was NOT thinking it was gonna help I'm glad it did.

Thanks again.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2004, 11:35:59 AM »

You're welcome. Glad I could be of some help.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: