MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: huge problem installing nvidia 5200 256mb
October 16, 2019, 12:16:28 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 16, 2019, 12:16:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: huge problem installing nvidia 5200 256mb  (Read 1300 times)
reknorak

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2004, 03:28:54 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:XP SP1
Problem Application Name & Version: FX 5200
Problem Hardware Make & Model: NvidiaFX 5200 256mb
Error Messages:parameter incorrect

i recently bought a card <as above> and ive tried everyone i can think of to get it working. my machine is a HP pavilion 734.uk and my previous card was an nvidia 440, evertime i try install the drivers i just just the yellow ! and it says no drivers are currently there, also when i try install the drivers using windows it gives a 'error failed to install nvidia 5200...parameter incorrect' ive tried uninstalling the video adapters using safe mode ect, but ive been told it could be that my previous drivers wern't uninstalled properly and is causing conflict, i have also set bios option to agp for primary...i really am out of ideas this is my last cry for help before i go hunting for nvidia staff to slay

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 12:25:18 AM »

Hey,

I've only recently installed a Gainward GeForce FX5200 into my PC. I had a couple of problems with it as well but that was because the drivers for my last card weren't uninstalled properly. If you still have your original card try putting that back in and see what happens. If it works straight away then you'll know the drivers weren't uninstalled properly.

What you need to do is make sure that you've uninstalled the drivers for the previous card. Make sure you remove this card from the device manager as well. When you've made sure that all of the drivers are gone off the system put the new card back in and boot up the computer. When you get to windows you should get the "Found New Hardware" wizard. Follow the wizard, insert the driver CD for the FX5200 and let the wizard find the driver on the CD. Restart the computer and hopefully it should be working.

Let me know if this works. If it doesn't work let me know and I'll try find another solution for you.

Let me know how you get on!

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
SteveP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 02:47:43 AM »

I had the same problem upgrading the drivers for my FX56000 card.  Here is the solution that worked for me.  The problem is that the permission aren't set right in the registry so you and the system are being denied permission to update the driver.  Here is how to fix it.

Do Start>>>Run and type in regedit.

Once regedit is open search for this key

HKEY_Local_machine/software/Nvidia Corporation

You should see it in the left hand pane.  Once you find it, then right click on it.  A menu will open and once of the menu items will be "Permissions"  choose that item.  The permissions box will now open.  Select your admin level user account that you are installing the driver from and place a check mark in the box next to "Full Control".  Now select the "System" account and do the same thing for it.  Exit regedit and you will now be able to install the drivers without getting the error message about the parameter being wrong.

SteveP

ccchiro

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 03:38:53 PM »

I also experienced this problem and this worked - setting permissions was definately the problem thanks!

You can also get to the "permissions" via edit menu.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: