MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Overclocking, Cooling & Modding Problems arrow Topic: Heat temps cpu/case
May 26, 2020, 12:50:53 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2020, 12:50:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heat temps cpu/case  (Read 3057 times)
Marky1973

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2004, 12:07:00 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows XP pro SP1
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:Heat question

Hi whats the best heat conditions for an AMD 3000XP cpu my temps are 43/55 and my case temp noramlly stays around 31/32 these are resting temps and full load. Could someone help and tell me if these are ok.

Thanks

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 11:55:15 PM »

Hey,

The temps seem ok. 45-50 is normal op temp. you would want to worry if it operating at over 60. The CPU is toast at 81-85. Your case temps are fine as well no problems there. What cooling do you have on your CPU?

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Marky1973

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 12:37:34 AM »

Hi thanks for replying

My cpu fan is a SilentX 80mm fan from a company called so advanced, and my case is a Thermaltake with 2 90mm fans and 2 80mm fans. Thanks for putting my mind to rest about my temps being normal, I won't worry anymore, ps my cpu fan's rpm is 2136-2300.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 05:16:53 PM »

Yeah the cooling should be fine. The CPU fan is running at medium speed anyway so if there was an increase in temp for any reason you could increase the speed of the fan. Does the fan have automatic speed control or is it manual?

thejester1975

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 09:58:34 PM »

Hello,

Just read your post and realised something...my PC has been doing some odd shutdowns in the last few days...just switches itself off without a restart.  I have noticed when i do restart it, the CPU temp (according to the startup screen), is around 75deg Celcius...could that be a reason for the shutdowns?  I only have a fan attched to the CPU and the power supply.  Should i be getting more?
btw: xp home, athlon xp2000 processor

Thanks
Jester1975
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 10:00:55 PM by thejester1975 » Logged

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 12:23:56 AM »

Yes this may well be the problem. A lot of motherboards have it built into them that if the CPU reaches a certain temp eg. 75C then the computer shuts down automatically. Was this a self-build or did you buy the system? What do you have cooling the CPU? Is it a stock heatsink and fan or did you buy one for it?

thejester1975

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 05:46:05 AM »

The PC was built to my specs (didn't even think about cooling at the time) by a generic brand shop (much cheaper that way).  I have not bought any fans or heatsinks, the CPU has one of each on it and appears to be standard stuff.  There is no actual case fan either.  I now remember a problem i had a couple of months ago.  When I would start the PC up (from cold), i got a message that said "CPU fan is not functioning properly", followed by many beeps until I switched it off.  It never even got to the RAM check point.  That happened intermittently for a few days then seemed to fix itself...happening again about a month later...has not done it for a while now till this new shutting down problem.

Jester1975

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 11:46:35 PM »

The problem may be that when the shop built the computer that they didn't use any thermal compound between the heatsink and the CPU. I'm not saying that this is the case with you but I have seen it where a shop built a computer and didn't bother using any thermal compound. Did you have the computer long before this problem occured?

The problem about the CPU fan not working correctly may be the cause as well. I'd open up your case and then turn on the computer as normal and see if the fan is spinning properly or whether it's spinning at all. I'd try and fix this problem ASAP because when your CPU is operating at 75C the life of the CPU is getting shorter every time it gets up this kind of temp.

You may have to buy a new heatsink/fan unit for your CPU to see if that will solve the  problem.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: