MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Missing <windows root>system 32\hal.dll
May 26, 2020, 02:05:11 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2020, 02:05:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Missing <windows root>system 32\hal.dll  (Read 6225 times)
Cranberries

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2004, 05:41:50 AM »

Hi, I have an HP Pavilion 3650 with Windows XP. Everytime I tried to turn it on the following message appeared. "Windows cannot be started because the following file is missing or corrupt <windows root>system 32\hal.dll". I'm not sure what's wrong or what's missing, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 07:18:26 PM »

Your error message is a corrupt file within your Operating System. You can try to copy the file to your hard drive or you can try to do a system restore if you have your XP cd.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 03:55:09 AM »

I don't have a system restore disk, but if I were to copy the file to my hard drive, would I have to save the file onto a hard disk?

Adizzle

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 01:54:48 PM »

Hey, I am having the same problem...
Windows cannot be started because the following file is missing or corrupt <windows root>system 32\hal.dll
I'm using Windows XP, I have a custom built computer and I haven't added/removed/changed any hardware or software since last month(June), when I updated my video card.  I dont have a system restore disk, but I have an external hard drive(iPod), would it be possible for me to get that hal file and stick it on my iPod, then get the computer to boot from my iPod? Can it work that way?

OSL

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 11:27:33 PM »

Could someone help me out, I too have the same problem and would like to know how to go about copying the file to my hard drive. Can I use the A:Copy? and where to I copy it too?  Thanks

LittleOne007

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 08:32:59 PM »

Hey, I have the same problem. When I start up my computer the following message appears: windows root>\system 32\hal.dll this file may be corrupted or removed. So I tried restoring it but it crashes all the time during these restore sessions. I get about 10 seconds after I press the 'start up' button before it crashes, which obviously isn't enough time for me to restore my computer with the Emachine XP cd I have. So what should I do because it seems as if there is no solution to this problem? Could some one plz help me with my problem as soon as possible thanks Smiley

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 08:23:38 AM »

For all of you: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm
Also: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320252
Also for a lot of more links: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21091291.html

Now then, onto the repair, for you who do have the Windows XP CD, use the Recovery Console as said in the first link above. Alternatively use the Repair Installation of Windows, although do watch out as this will rid you of all hotfixes and service packs. So make sure you have those backed up to run directly after the reinstall!!

For you with only a Restore CD, use the correct start up floppies for your XP version. Anyone in here who wasn't using Windows XP? Since no one mentioned their OS. Wink
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 08:24:42 AM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: