MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: "Different" About:Blank hijack problem
June 05, 2020, 07:08:47 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2020, 07:08:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Different" About:Blank hijack problem  (Read 5663 times)
jeffcox

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2004, 05:01:28 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows 98 SE
Problem Application Name & Version: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Problem Hardware Make & Model: generic (built by local technician)
Error Messages:

Hi, I've been reading the Bentitup has spoken to a couple of folks with problems like mine, but those solutions do not pertain to me.  I am wondering if he or someone with the same problem solving interests might help me with this issue?  

I have been working on a friend's PC that has a persistent About:Blank browser hijack. I cleaned a whole lot of problems off of this machine and it is running very well now but I can not seem to fix this one remaining issue.  I am using the latest versions of SPYBOT S&D(1.3), AD-AWARE and CWSHREDDER and they are all updated with the latest updates. We also have Norton AV 2003 (also updated) and the latest version of ZoneAlarm on the machine. SPYBOT is running in IMMUNIZE mode and it seems to be working well. I have used Msconfig and stopped everything that looked suspicious. Currently, Msconfig is only starting scanregistry(system), system tray(system), load power profile(1)(system), ccapp(norton a/v), ccregvfy(norton a/v), zonelabs client, load power profile(2)(system), ccevtmgr(norton a/v), scriptblocking(norton a/v), true vector(zone alarm), scheduling agent(mstask-norton a/v) and reminder(hpc41004-for HP printer).

I can run IE for a couple of hours after scanning the system (with SPYBOT, Ad-Aware and CWSHREDDER in SAFE MODE) without seeing the About:Blank screen.  But it always comes back after I restart the computer and subsequently start IE.  And it appears that I can run forever if I do not run IE.  Once I run IE, however, stuff starts to happen:
1) the About:blank screen(sp.html) and a new "~" process, whose name changes every time, shows up again in the "windows/temp" directory,
2) a new program called C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE shows up in the list of running processes and
3) a wierd BHO gets written for IE to pick up.  
And, every time the About:Blank appears, all of the spyware items show up in my scanners AGAIN!

FYI, when I perform the scans, CWSHREDDER no longer finds anything; SPYBOT only finds an application called WEBDIALER; and Ad-Aware finds a bunch of stuff related to HOMEOldSP which I know to be a browser hijack.

Can you please help me get rid of this thing once and for all?  I have looked thru a bunch of prior stuff that I felt was related to this (even a session that Bentitup had with a user named "Chasing a Bee") but the solutions do not pertain to me even though the problem manifests itself in the same way.  

If you're willing to try, here is the HiJackThis log (taken after I scrubbed the machine with SPYBOT, Ad-Aware and CWSHREDDER in SAFE MODE)...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 10:37:09 PM, on 6/17/04
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HP DESKJET 830C SERIES\EREG\REMIND32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\UTILITIES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACK THIS.EXE

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Ad-aware] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\LAVASOFT\AD-AWARE 6\AD-AWARE.EXE" "+b1"
O4 - Startup: Reminder-hpc41004.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP DeskJet 830C Series\ereg\Remind32.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shoc...wflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004...scan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/C...8390393518
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/Shar...vSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/Shar.../cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {556DDE35-E955-11D0-A707-000000521957} - http://www.xblock.com/download/xclean_micro.exe

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jeff

benditup

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 05:11:03 AM »

Let's see if this reveals anything

GoTo:
Start>run>Type:
msinfo32
*Expand: "Software Environment"
*Expand: "System hooks"
File may be listed As:

-Hook type: Window Procedure
-Hooked by: XXXXX.dll
-Application: RUNDLL32.EXE
-Dll path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\XXXXX.dll
-Application path: C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE

Where XXXXX..dll is the file name.

If So hilite And use edit>copy and post here

NEXT
Download STARTDRECK
http://members.blackbox.net/hp_links/21/nikolaus.rameis/_data/startdreck.zip
Unzip it to it's own folder

run StartDreck.exe:
Hit: -config
hit: -Unmark all
Check these boxes only:
*Registry->run keys
*Registry->Browser helper objects
*System/drivers> Running processes
hit >ok.

Use the "save" tab, to save, name and post the log!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 05:13:16 AM by benditup » Logged

jeffcox

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 05:19:16 AM »

I'll do that Bentitup.  The machine is at his home so I can not do it tonight.  I'll get it to you ASAP however.

thanks

jeffcox

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 12:37:17 AM »

OK.  I talked my buddy thru the instructions and I have the results.

The name of the dll is HLPM.dll and it lives in C:\windows\system.  It showed up EXACTLY in the context that you said it would.

The startdreck information is as follows:

StartDreck (build 2.1.5 public BETA)  -  2004-07-02 @ 20:28:35
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win 4.10.2222 A)

benditup

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 01:02:40 AM »

Ensure that Spybot and Ad-Aware are updated
as well as CWShredder

Download and unzip  Win98Fix.zip

Let's try and get rid of the main problem
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HLPM.DLL

Disconnect from the NET

Now, ensure that Win98Fix.zip is unzipped

-DoubleClick on: 'RunFix.reg' file, Answer 'yes'
to the prompt!
-Restart computer!

Find and delete:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HLPM.DLL <---this file

Next go ahead and run Scans with CWShredder--let it FIX all problems
Spybot and Ad-Aware
with Ad-Aware set these options
click the gear wheel at the top and check these options:

General> activate these: "Automatically save log-file" and "Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal"

Scanning > activate these: "Scan within archives", "Scan active processes", "Scan registry", "Deep scan registry", "Scan my IE Favorites for banned sites" and "Scan my Hosts file"

Tweaks > Scanning Engine> activate this: "Unload recognized processes during scanning."

Tweaks > Cleaning Engine: activate these: "Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion" and "Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."

Click "Proceed" to save your settings, then click "Start", make sure "Activate in-depth scan" is ticked green then scan your system. When the scan is finished, the screen will tell you if anything has been found, click "Next". The bad files will be listed, right click the pane and click "Select all objects" - this will put a check mark in the box at the side, click "Next" again and click "OK" at the prompt "# objects will be removed. Continue?".

RESTART your computer
Don't open a browser yet, instead
Access Internet Options via Control Panel
Under the Programs tab "Reset Web Settings"
Under the General tab---Delete files + offline content---Also Reset home page
Do a Disk Cleanup

Post back with a Fresh Hijackthis log afterwards

jeffcox

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 01:19:23 AM »

What do you mean by "Do a disk cleanup"?  Empty the recycle bin?  Delete cache?  Empty c:\windows\temp?  Or do you have something else in mind?

thanks,
Jeff

Note: My friend went out for an hour or so.  When he gets back, I'll walk him thru this stuff.  On his old computer, ad-aware runs more than 1/2 hour.  Spybot is quicker.  I'll get back to you a little later.  In the mean time, I just need to know what "Do a disk cleanup" means.  Thanks for your help.  

Jeff

benditup

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 01:30:36 AM »

Disk Cleanup
Start----Programs---Accessories----System Tools---Disk Cleanup

or manually delete the contents of those folder you described

jeffcox

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 02:00:03 AM »

We are having trouble updating cwshredder.  Says the server is possibly not available.

benditup

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2004, 02:07:24 AM »

Just ensure that your version is the latest
which should be v1.59.1

If not you can redownload from here, I'm having problems with their site
too
http://download.softpedia.com:8080/ANTIVIRUS/CWShredder.exe

With only CWShredder open let it FIX all problems
RESTART

jeffcox

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2004, 04:15:47 AM »

OK, I searched the Internet and found an available copy of the 1.59.1 version of CWShredder (modified on 6/28/2004) from ComputerGeeks.  The Ad-aware scan took over an hour to do.  It turned up 2 files that it could not delete, "dco.dll" and "indh.dll".  Ad-aware asked if it could run on the next boot-up and I told him to: 1)say "YES" and 2)reboot now and complete the ad-aware step.  (I should have talked him thru SAFE MODE but I knew better than to try...  If I have to talk him thru DOS deletes, we could be here forever.)

Anyway, he will finish the Ad-aware step (on this reboot) and run spybot s&d tonight.  

I emailed him the "cwshredder v1.59.1" so, tomorrow, I'll talk him into getting it on his machine and running it.  And we'll complete the steps that you requested.

Sorry it is taking so long.

jeffcox

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2004, 04:38:09 AM »

Hey, Benditup, I have been looking for documentation on the program "Win98fix.zip" that we ran.  There is not a lot.  One guy says that it is not useful across the board for Windows 98 systems.  Many of the links that show up for it are no longer valid.  

I've looked at the contents of the "reg" file but I do not understand what we accomplished.

REGEDIT4
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce]

Can you tell me what we did here for future reference?

thanks,
Jeff

jeffcox

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2004, 02:52:32 PM »

We're done.  Here's the HiJackThis log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 10:44:17 AM, on 7/3/04
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\UTILITIES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACK THIS.EXE

N2 - Netscape 6: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.msn.com/"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\dart6wuh.slt\prefs.js)
N2 - Netscape 6: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CPROGRAM%20FILES%5CNETSCAPE%5CNETSCAPE%206%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\dart6wuh.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?38148.8390393518
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/vc/bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {556DDE35-E955-11D0-A707-000000521957} - http://www.xblock.com/download/xclean_micro.exe

This log looks really clean to me.  I had him using Netscape and he really wants to go back to using IE.  Since the machine is clean, I'll wait to hear from you before I tell him to use any Internet browser yet in case you have more you want to look at.

benditup

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2004, 06:23:58 PM »

Hi Jeff, he looks clean
Startdreck, Finds the hidden .dll
Win98 fix is registry fix to help expose it in the
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder on Restart
so that you can delete it

My wife can't get away from using IE either
Smiley

Ensure that he keeps up to date on Windows Updates

I would install this App.----on your computer too
SpywareBlaster-----A Simple download
Install----Check For Udates---Enable All protection
Supplies better protection than Spybot's Immunize feature
Good to have both enabled
Best yet it is free and doesn't need to run in the background
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
If he has problems running it read the FAQ on that page

You may also want to check into this free app
Adds entries to the restricted zones via registry
Documentation included with it
Again, this is not a program that needs to run in the background
Here's a tutorial
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=53
The link for download is included in that link

If he doesn't have a popup blocker for IE may I suggest Google toolbar
Got it for the wife and it works great
Myself on the other hand, I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser
http://toolbar.google.com/
If you set the googlebar right you can have it rest beside the address
bar so it doesn't add an extra toolbar line at the top....

So I take it everything is running fine then?
Let me know and I will lock this topic, thanx

jeffcox

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2004, 07:17:36 PM »

Thank you so much.  I just called him and told him to go back to using the Internet as he used to use it (with IE).  When I go over, I'll install "spyware blaster" and the "bleeding computer" s/w.  I'll try "google toolbar" myself so that I teach him how to use it, as I know if it asks any questions, I'll get phone calls on it.  I want him to run today and tomorrow before we close this topic if that is OK with you.  That sucker seemed to go away for a while and then come back (although I think that I learned that IE was the culprit.)  

Thanks,
Jeff

I can not tell you how happy I am that you were willing to help me out.

By the way, what in the Startdreck log made you select HLPM.dll as the bad guy.  Was it because it had a double ** in front of it?  Note: I actually picked it out because msinfo32 pointed it out to me.

benditup

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2004, 07:42:12 PM »

RunServicesOnce
**aji=rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HLPM.DLL,StreamingDeviceSetup

That was in the startdreck log, you also identified it in msinfo32
Notice it is in the RunServicesOnce key, that is where Win98fix
stepped in to disable and enable that key
and expose the hidden .dll in the system folder

Please have him install SpywareBlaster and IE-Spyad as soon as possible
if he is going to use IE---don't need reinfection