MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: computer will not start
June 07, 2020, 06:53:13 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2020, 06:53:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: computer will not start  (Read 2006 times)
jaygatsby

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2004, 05:13:44 PM »

Operating System Version: Windows XP

I had left my computer alone for a while with the screensaver on, when I came back it was frozen.  I restarted the computer, but nothing came up on the moniter.  A message on the monitor said that the monitor is working fine, but that its not recieving anything from the comp.  I looked in the comp. and everything appears to be running when I turn it on.  I tried using another graphics card, believing that the one in there had died.  But after I switched the graphics card still nothing appeared on the monitor.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  It is a new computer, With an AMD Athlon 2800 processor, and a Nvidia 4700 graphics card, although I tried a ATI 9600 and that also didnt work.  Could it be the processor?  Or the mother board, im just not sure.  Thanks for any help in advance.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 12:29:33 PM »

When you turn on the computer does it make any beeping sounds?

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
deanmawer

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 10:23:03 AM »

i have the same problem. nearly the same system also...my computer started freezing up after a few minutes of operation. now it will not start up. the same problems as yourself. tried the memory/graphics card/hard drive ect but to no avail. hope you dont mind me jumping in on your string. any help/suggestions greatly appreciated........cheers for now...Dean
p.s.. my computer doesn't beep......im sure it used to beep once when turned on.....!!!

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 12:09:51 PM »

Yeah all computer beep once when you turn them on. That just means that it passed the POST(Power-On Self Test). It tests the CPU, HDD etc. to make sure they're ok. If the computer was to beep more than once then you would be able to use the beeps to find out what the problem was.

Firstly I would try to clear the CMOS. Do this by setting the jumper on your mobo. If you can't find the jumper or your mobo doesn't have one then you'll have to remove the CMOS battery to reset the CMOS. It's a silver circular battery (like a big wtch battery). Take it out for about 10mins and then put it back in. If you have a jumper that'll do this, ignore the battery.

After you've reset the CMOS post back here and let us know what happens, ie. if the computer starts again.

Ross

deanmawer

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 01:06:16 PM »

tried that and still nothing.......thanks anyways..Dean

dcnettles

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 08:36:40 PM »

I am having pretty much the same problem.  Details follow:

Intel 845 Chipset
P4 1.8 Ghz
256 MB DDR SDRAM

The computer was left on overnight.  The next morning the screen was blank and I thought it had gone to sleep mode.  The power light was on but the power button would not work.  I unplugged it and plugged it back in.  The power light came on and there is a green light on the motherboard that came on; however, no fan, no hard drive, no beeps, just a faint buzzing noise.  I tried resetting the CMOS but no luck.  There were no power surges that I am aware of and I am using a surge protector/UPS.  Any ideas?

dcnettles

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 09:16:47 PM »

Hmmm, turns out the fan on the power supply is running but the CPU fan is turning very slowly.  Could the power supply be my problem?

dcnettles

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 09:18:06 PM »

Oops, meant to say the fan on the power supply is NOT running.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 10:30:16 PM »

If the PSU fan isn't running then the PSU might be at fault. If at all possible it might be a good idea to try a PSU that you know works or you could try that PSU in another computer that you know is working.

Ross

dcnettles

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2004, 03:34:35 AM »

I will try that tomorrow...too tired to think.

deanmawer

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2004, 09:50:40 AM »

thanks for help...it was my motherboard...all sorted now thanks

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: