MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: "BIOS ROM Checksum error" on boot
June 04, 2020, 11:42:04 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2020, 11:42:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "BIOS ROM Checksum error" on boot  (Read 4034 times)
GizmoGary

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2004, 03:29:57 PM »

I'd just finished moving my computer into a new case that i'd just bought when i got this message when i powered it back up.
Having read around the net about this problem it appears a BIOS flash could solve the problem (as long as the CMOS chip isn't actually damaged) but my main problem in doing that is that the system tries to boot from the floppy drive after that message but the computer repeatidly reboots itself before it can boot to floppy... regardless of whether the floppy is bootable or not.
I've tried all the usal things like removing all hardware and tring other bits in place of them, reseting the CMOS with the jumpers, changing the CMOS battery... all with no luck... everything was working fine before the move.
The only thing i can think of that could have affected this was that when it was first powered on the heatsink and fan wasn't quite seated properly and so the PC shut itself down after about 10 seconds cos of the CPU overheating (this was done while not plugged into monitor so could see if the BIOS was ok before this, i could only tell it was overheating due to an external temperature monitor.) could this have damaged the CMOS/BIOS?
The motherboard i'm using is an Elitegroup K7S6A v1.0 with an Award BIOS.

Any help would be much appreciated even if its only how to stop it constantly rebooting...(BTW, the CPU is no longer overheating)

Gary

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 08:42:30 PM »

I don't think the CPU overheating would cause the BIOS chip to be damaged. I've never heard of it anyway. Did you check if the BIOS chip is seated correctly?

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
GizmoGary

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 10:47:53 PM »

Yep checked all that... all seems fine.
The thing that is the most annoying is that i can't even try re-flash it as the damn thing just keeps rebooting and i can't find anything in the manual saying anything about auto rebooting on a system halt or error etc Sad

Looking more and more like i'm gonna need a new MB Sad

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 11:14:36 PM »

Before you go out and buy a new mobo i'd try a new BIOS chip if possible. Try the manufactuer's website to see if they supply new BIOS chips. It's a whole lot cheaper than a new mobo.

Ross

GizmoGary

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 11:23:44 PM »

The motherboard is pretty old now... its a socket A and the CPU in it ATM is the model before the XP's... i forget its name so i'm sure they won't do one for that... but its an idea that i'll try... either that or find a ROM chip programmer Smiley

Thanks for you help so far.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 05:35:37 PM »

No problem. You don't have to try the motherboard manufacturer. As far as I know there are only a few different types of BIOS chip ie. size, shape and connector. So you might be able to get a new BIOS chip from your local computer shop or something. It's worth a try anyway, if it is only the BIOS chip then you'll be glad you didn't waste your money buying a new mobo. If it isn't the BIOS chip you'll only have wasted a few pounds.

Let me know how you get on.

Ross

GizmoGary

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 06:12:18 PM »

Yeah i think i'm going to try that first... maybe Maplin will do them... you think this would do it? http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=04071219114340&moduleno=36060
One question though, obviously once i put a new, blank chip in i'm going to need to flash it with the proper firmware, which i am unable to try at present due to the PC constantly rebooting when it gets that error... do you think with a different chip in it will stop rebooting itself so i can flash it?

Oh and heres a thought... you think i could take a chip out of another mobo and fit that one in and re-flash it?

Thanks again for you help Ross, MUCH appreciated.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 12:01:46 AM »

It should do the trick. Just make sure that it's the same kind as the one that's already in there.

I'm not sure about the what will happen when you put the new chip in? I've never had to replace the BIOS chip in any of the computers I've ever had.

I'm not sure about taking the chip out of another mobo either. Maybe if you take it out of the other mobo and put it in your one and then clear the CMOS, it might work. There's only one way to find out!

Ross

GizmoGary

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 11:04:40 AM »

Well theres been some sort of development.
I found an old mobo at home that had the same type of BIOS chip in and I thought i might as well try out what i found on this site... http://www.benchtest.com/flash.html
Well it worked to an extent, i booted the old mobo into dos and then took the chip out and replaced it with the broken one, tried to flash it but had loads of freezing so after messing around with the parameters of awdflash i managed to get it to flash the chip with an updated version on the bios... but awdflash report that the first half of the flash failed so i think the chip is totally broken.
So, i tried to flash the old chip with the bios for my other mobo and it seemed to complete successfully.. but unfortunatley with that chip in my broken mob it wouldn't even boot... think its cos the chip was slightly different of it didn't flash right.

I'll also come to the conclusion that you can't just but a blank new chip into a mobo and then flash it with a bios cos the pc just won't boot up at all, you'd need to do the trick above to get a bios onto it. But i have found a website that will provide a new chip with a bios on it for you mobo... http://www.motherboard-biosflash.co.uk
so it looks like i'll be having to do this.

Thanks for all your help Ross.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 11:44:22 PM »

Your welcome.

If you get the new chip let me know how you get on and whether or not the problem is fixed.

Ross

GizmoGary

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2004, 11:15:36 PM »

Well, I recieved the new chip this morning and i am well happy... fixed the problem straight away. Plugged the new chip in and booted up first time. Brilliant service would recommend them to anyone who is having major bios corruption problems. Sent to cheque off on the wednesday and recieved the chip the saturday... pretty damn good if you ask me.

All i'll say to any one is that its not that easy using the "hot swap" bios flashing method as it doesn't always seem to work, especially if you don't have a mobo that is exactly the same as the one thats broke.
Just found this site tonight though that might help people with this type of problem... http://www.uniflash.org/ the flash utility can flash the bios chip on the mobo with any flish file you throw at it (awdflash generally wont let you flash the bios if the file doesn't match your mobo)... hope this will help someone.

Thanks for all your help though Ross... a new chip in the end was definitly cheaper than a new mobo and i've been able to use the ho-swap thingy and re-flash the dead chip and now i have a back up chip Cheesy

EDIT: BTW, using the hot-swap method is certainly "interesting". Sticking your hand in the PC while is all powered up and ripping out a chip and shoving another one in... hardware damage and personal damage certainly possible if you make one wrong move... lmao
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 11:18:32 PM by GizmoGary » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: