MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Cant keep my PC from turning on automatically!!
June 26, 2019, 10:59:39 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2019, 10:59:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cant keep my PC from turning on automatically!!  (Read 751 times)
jerojerojeroppy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2004, 01:42:59 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: PrimePC Monarch
Error Messages: none

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows XP
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:PrimePC Monarch
Error Messages: none

Hello.
This problem is so weird!: I bought this new desktop PC with Windows XP and after a week of use it started to TURN itself ON automatically about a minute after I turn off Windows. And it happens everytime!
Everything else seems to run normal, and I cant see any other strange symptom... My PC just turns itself on, and this is somehow frightening!

Now all I can do about it is quickly unplugging the mains cord everytime after turning off Windows... but this is not a normal thing to do! I would like to have Windows turn off my computer normally, like anybody else!

So tonight I tried two different things (None of them seemed to help):

1)
I run Avast antivirus... and it said that it found a virus called Kuang2, and that three system files were infected. (The names of the infected files were something like windows/scan...or something) and I chose to DELETE those 3 infected files.

But the weird turning-on behavior continued...

2)
Then my friend told me that somebody (or some virus) might have gained access to my computer through internet, and that person (or virus) might be turning on my PC from a distant location... And this theory made sense to me, because I had file and printer sharing of my whole drive totally enabled...
(When I bought this new PC I wanted to be able to work with the files of my old notebook too, so I configured a network through an Ethernet hub for my desktop and my notebook.)
I didnt know that there was a risk in enabling file and printer sharing, so I had my computer open to the world for about 4 weeks...

Well now I quickly disabled file and printer sharing about three hours ago, and after doing that I then run the online virus scan from Symantec, and it says there is NO virus in my computer now.

But the Symantec Scan Online said that my computer has two open ports (one of these ports is called Ping, and the other has a number). Ihave no idea how I can close those ports...

Anyway, when I turn Windows off now, the weird behavior still continues (my PC would turn itself on automatically again)!!!

Thanks a lot for having read this long message. Now MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1) Who has an idea how to solve the AUTO-TURNING-ON problem?
2) Should I try closing those mentioned two ports ? (And if yes: HOW?)

(The guys from the computer shop where I bought the PC only speak japanese, and I can not communicate with them)

Jerry

jero
jerojerojeroppy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 07:16:51 PM »

hi, no replies so far...Sad
I guess my message was too long, my english is too bad, and perhaps no one can understand the point... So now I try a shorter version:Wink

(By the way, I am new here, my name is Jeronimo, you can call me Jerry or Jero -or whatever you like:))

:oMY PROBLEM:
Every time I try to turn off Windows Xp
(START MENU - TURN OFF COMPUTER - TURN OFF),
my PC will turn on itself again after one minute - automatically.

MY ATTEMPTS TO SOLVE IT (SO FAR UNUCCESFULLY):
???1)
I ran Avast antivirus - it found "Kuang2" - deleted 3 infected system  files.
Then I scanned again with Symantec online - now my status is "No virus found" - It made no difference.
???2)
I disabled "files and printers sharing" on my PC and set the internet connection in "offline mode" before turning off the PC - It made no difference.
???3)
I run "security check" online from Symantec, and it says that two ports of my computer ("ICM Ping" and "SSH") are open. Anyway I don't know how to close them but... Could this issue be causing my TURN-ON-PROBLEM?

:(PLEASE:
I have no idea what to do further... but  I would like Windows to shut down my computer, as it is supposed to do. Can somebody give me some further idea? Has somebody ever had this problem -or ever heard about it?

jero
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: