MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: data transfer from olkd harddrive
June 26, 2019, 11:33:47 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2019, 11:33:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: data transfer from olkd harddrive  (Read 1118 times)
kari15106

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2004, 02:07:04 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:  ME
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Hi I'm hoping someone can help me.  I installed a new harddrive and transfered data from the old by dragging it over, all of the files made it intact however the actual  user profiles from the old harddrive did not make it over so now when I log on I can't access files, I did copy all files to the current user and I think it will be OK.  My problem is this is going to be on a network and this is where Im in over my head All is working well except quickbooks when I try to sign on I get this message "A required .dll file,inetclnt.dll was not found, I had hoped that by bringing the old files over the network settings would stay in tact therefor allowing quickbooks to open as before (even if you were not logged into the network you could still view the company file) Does anyone have any suggestions? I have already designated all users of this computer to have the same settings sincs I was unable to actually transfer the old profiles to here, I tried dragging them etc, they are here bt when I sign on it does not give me the option for any of the original users of the old harddrive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated THANK YOU!!!

shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 09:29:27 AM »

kari1506:

Your thinking is totally rational and reasonable. That is the problem. Some things with computers are not always rational, and you have to know the eccentricities of the technology.

What you did makes sense, in terms of trying to copy the profiles. Unfortunately, while what you did might work on some other operating systems, Windows doesn't work like that. It writes information specific to each account and again specific to each installation of Windows into a central configuration file-the registry. That information cannot just be copied to another drive. It is somewhat similar to the fact that you cannot just copy files from a program to another drive with Windows on it-the information is specifically tailored to that particular installation of Windows.

I recall seeing some third party utility programs out there for migrating Windows profiles to other machines-but I somehow doubt you'd find them Windows 98 or ME, since they are usually for large companies.

Now, after all that talking....this problem may not at all be related to user profiles. A quick check on google tells me that several people claim to have solved the problem by replacing the missing file on the hard drive. In the postings people had resorted to e-mailing each other the file, because they couldn't find it on the Quickbooks CD. (IT was probably in a special archived format.)

Shplad

kari15106

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 09:43:06 PM »

Shplad,

Thank you so very much!! You are absolutley correct I was "overthinking" We hooked it up to the network and it works great (quickbooks was on the server anyways), now some of the settings are not the same however I can deal with that because everything is now where it needs to be.
Thank You again you're awesome!!!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: