MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Cursor Spots + Bad Graphics on Vid. and Games
October 20, 2019, 06:08:20 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2019, 06:08:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cursor Spots + Bad Graphics on Vid. and Games  (Read 955 times)
Tool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2004, 06:39:42 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: WinXP pro
Problem Application Name & Version: not sure
Problem Hardware Make & Model: not sure
Error Messages: none

Specs:
Mobo: Soltek SL-85DRV4
CPU: Pentium4 2.0 ghz.
Graphics Card: Geforce4 TI4200 APG8X
HD: 2 one 40 gb and one 8 gb.
NO overclocking!

Hello fellas!

Im really in bad need of help here - after trying for weeks to find out where the problem lies and how to correct it, so i really hope that a friendly soul might be able to ease my pain.

PROBLEM:
When i startup i already see graphic probs when the mobo boots up - there seems to be two lines through the soltek logo thats blurred - or more like none existing.

Then XP loads - with two spots in the loadline(the one running from left to right).

Now when XP has loaded the first very annoying problem will occour when i move around anywhere(from the internet to the desktop etc.) around my cursor. It will have small black spots around it at random - on and off just when it feels like it seems.

Last but not least i have graphic issues when playing games and watching video.
The games has weird shadowlike squares also at random, mostly when shifting from menu to menu. Also small green spots will appear on different textures. Looks like it cant handle the 3d graphic.
When watching Video it will have small green spots also but here they blink on and off.
Also sometimes horizontal lines will appear.

One other thing is that at random my desktop will not close windows - actually it does close them when i click the X but it will still hang there garbled untill i refresh my screen.

WHEN DID IT START:
It started about a month ago when playing Total Club Manager in 3d mode. I didnt change any settings it just appeared outta thin air. The game had been running fine for months.

WHAT DID I DO TO CORRECT THE ERROR:
Cleaned my CPU from any dust and checked all connections.
Tried new drivers for the video card now running 5.6.7.2(i did uninstall all old drivers).
Full sys scan with norton to get rid of any viruses - find a few trojans and deleted those.
Still same problem.
Then i formatted the harddrive but no luck.
Tried different variations of graphic drivers and directX - now running ver. 8 and 9 to test them out. Seems one works just as bad as the other - no difference really.
Ive been to loads of forums to try and find anyone else with this exact problem - but found noone.

WHERE DO I THINK THE PROBLEM LIES:
It seems to be a problem with my graphics card in my oppinion - though when i think it over it cant really be that cuz i had the exact same problem just after formatting when i didnt have the card installed before i had the driver reinstalled. This is why im starting to think it could be a hardware problem.
Now - ive read many places that updating my BIOS driver could sometimes help but i must admit that i am not convinced about that cuz the problem just appeared without any new installations etc.

Phew - sorry for rambelling on like this but im just trying to be as speciffic as possible:)

Hope anyone can find the time to help me out - it will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys.
Grin
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 07:02:09 PM by Tool » Logged

shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 06:24:54 PM »

Tool:

My experience from fixing similar problems on my customers' suggests you might want to try the following:

1. Go into the hardware setup utility (Some people mistakenly call it the "BIOS") and disable any kind of hardware virus protection, if enabled.

2. Have you checked device manager to see if there are any resource conflicts, esp. between the video card and any other device?

3. I don't know this card. I assume it's an AGP card? If it is, Check to see if it's sharing an IRQ or other resources with another card (Many boards, such as Asus boards, don't work properly when you put a card in the slot beside the AGP slot, as they share IRQ or other resources with it.) The moral of the story is, no matter what, try the board in another slot if it's a PCI card. If it's an AGP, make sure no card shares any resources with it (try removing other cards while the machine is off and booting up and trying your luck.)

4. Try disabling cleartype if you have it on, as well as all the fancy, but useless animation/eye candy features in Desktop settings.

Shplad
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 06:28:01 PM by shplad » Logged

Tool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 06:27:13 PM »

Thank you very much for your reply - ill try some of these things out and report back to let yuo know if it helped.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 06:36:17 PM by Tool » Logged

Tool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 12:14:39 PM »

Yup - the problem was my graphics card alright.
Just got a new one: HIS Excalibur ati Radeon 9800Pro 128mb IceQ.
Now i have a new problem:) - damn they always come in numbers!
It seems there is some kind of conflict between the card and Windows XP.
I uninstalled my old drivers - plugged in the new card - installed the new ATI drivers - restarted - and BOOM!
It starts up in the lowest resolution - but the error messages i get are numerous and serious:
I get numerous "write delayed failures" mostly the "$mft"
So to put it shortly - i cant use me new card:(
Hope someone can give me a point in the right direction.
Cheers

Tool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 02:46:26 PM »

Hoooooaaaaaa!
Its bloody working!
On the verge of giving up i downloaded Driver Cleaner from: http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/
Uninstalled all Nvidia and ATI drivers with the proggy, rebooted, installed the newest driver bundle from ATI ver. 6.14.10.1003 rebooted - and its working like a charm!
No windooooze "write delayed failures".
Hope somone else might have use of this way to solve problems like this.
Cheers

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: