MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: PowerPoint Issue
June 04, 2020, 06:21:22 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2020, 06:21:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PowerPoint Issue  (Read 973 times)
robin15

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2004, 12:58:10 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP
Problem Application Name & Version: PowerPoint 97 S-R2
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I have created a .ppt file and have inserted a .wav sound to play while the slides are progressing. It works great on my pc. However, when it is emailed to others (I have sent to quite a few to test) the sound does not play. They have checked their sound settings as well. I tried to insert as a media clip, but it will not let me change the play settings so that it plays during the whole show, it will play at the beginning and then everything else starts after it is done.

Any clue as to what I'm doing wrong?

Details: Slide show is 5 slides (3 have images on them), size of show is 1731 kb.

Thanks for any help you can give me! This board help me out tremendously once before...I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

t_shadow

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 04:45:31 PM »

Robin,
Do you still have the Power Point(PP) problem??
I haven't been on in a while, so sorry that it has taken so long to get back to you.
While I am not a PP pro, I did have the same or a similar problem on a safety presentation that I made for work.
Here is what I found.
I use several different versions of PP between work and home so sometimes people run into problems that way.
Remember that when you are setting up a presentation. If you have the latest and greatest version of PP your version may be able to do things that older versions can't.
I don't think that that is the problem here.
Your version is a little older , but it should work at this just fine.

What I believe is as follows:

PP doesn't actually insert the sound in you PPT file, it just plays it while showing your presentation.
What this means is that the wav file is on your computer (the one that you built the presentation on). When the PPT is playing on your system it remembers the path to the folder (with the wav file) on your computer that you inserted the file from. If you send just the PPT file to your friends (and not the wav file also) PP can't locate the sound file to play it on their system. The PPT plays but with no sound. This can happen when you build it on your desktop and move the PPT to your laptop to show it at a meeting.
There are several way to resolve this, but I am going to tell what I consider the easiest. (Not being a PP pro there could be simpler ways out there. I am always interested in new how-to s.)
The big thing to remember is that PP will (by default) look in the same folder that contains the PPT file (for the wav) before it looks in the folder where you loaded it from. If it finds the wav file in that PPT folder it looks no further. It will play just fine.
(Remember this if you burn your PPT to a CD and want to run it directly from there.)
You need to send the wav with the PPT file to your friends.
I think that this will solve your problem.
I suggest that you ZIP the PPT and the wave file together into the same zipped file. When they unzip it to a folder they should automatically be put in the same place.
It should play normally.
Now this brings up a couple of other things not actually related to your problem.
(Yeah - Yeah, I know I have been rambling on for a while, but your going to get just a little more.Grin)
Wave files can be huge. (The wav I used was 20 megs by itself.) If you are sending these files to some one with a dial up connection they will be using your name in vain, for sending them such a big download. You can use mp3s (much smaller files) just like wavs, but the problem I found with them was that not everyone could play them.  You can convert the wav to an MP3 and try it. If your friends have a good current mp3 player they will usually work, but sometimes the players have problems with missing updates called codecs and won't play well with PP. (I am not going into all of that.)
Wav files are easier to play, just much bigger.
By the way, did you know that if you rename the PPT file extension to a PPS extension that your presentation will just autorun when you double-click on it? You can save it that way, from with in PP, or just rename it yourself.

Well it is time for me to close this.
I hope that I covered all of what you wanted and helped.
Let me know how it turns out or if I need to clarify something.

Later!
             t_shadow

t_shadow

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 03:46:27 PM »

Robin15,
One or 2 other thoughts.
You could also possibly use the "Pack and Go" wizard in the file menu.
(The above post tells you how to do it manually.)
You could give P & G a shot, but on occasion things don't always work correctly. It will even give the option of including a PP viewer.

Plus I noticed, after I finished the last post, that you also had a question about how the wav file was to be played.
i.e. across more that one slide.
I can help here also, if you still need the help.
Let me know if you are still interested.
Depending on what you are doing it can get rather involved.
I'll post what I know if there is a need.
Later!

t_shadow
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 06:17:15 PM by t_shadow » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: