MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: problems with cold start
October 20, 2019, 06:18:24 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2019, 06:18:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: problems with cold start  (Read 949 times)
sarahcamel

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2004, 03:27:41 PM »

I have just got a new pc and am having problems starting it up. I have loaded windows XP on but it is not working correctly.  When I start it up from cold it the windows music is jumpy and I am not able to move the cursor around the desktop at all.  I can see all the programs have loaded on but the egg timer just stays in the centre of the screen and I am unable to do anything. However, if I press reset, it loads up fine either the second or third time. I have taken off windows and loaded it back on but the problem is still there-please help!

shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 06:39:44 PM »

sarahcamel:

If I only had a dime, oops. I mean shilling for every time I heard that.

There can be many causes for something like this. I'll try to give you a few of the more common ones.

1. Try going into the hardware setup utility (some people mistakenly call this the BIOS" and disabling any hardware antivirus protection-it just makes things worse anyway. You should always use a software antivirus if you can.

2. Go into Control Panel-->
Start-->Stettings-->Control Panel-->System-->Hardware Tab-->Device Manager
and check the device tree to see if any devices have an exclamation mark, red "X" or question mark beside them. Check every device. If any device does, then you may have a configuration problem or resource conflict.

Get back to us with the results!

Shplad

sarahcamel

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 09:41:38 PM »

Thanks, I think your response has almost solved it.  I checked the profiles of all the components and one did have a red cross by it.  I have fixed this and the computer started first time although the mouse did take a while to move properly. I will see when I turn my PC on tomorrow if the problem is completly gone.- thanks!

sarahcamel

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 03:53:03 PM »

This has not solved it unfortunatly.  I just had to restart my computer 3 times before it booted up correctly.  The start music is very distorted and again the mouse will not move as has the egg timer symbol. Any other ideas?
thanks

sarahcamel

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 04:51:17 PM »

Anyone got anymore ideas??

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: