MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: need help fast...
November 12, 2019, 09:04:38 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 12, 2019, 09:04:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: need help fast...  (Read 901 times)
Tdoggie50

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2004, 02:34:29 PM »

ok...i have a similar problem as everyone else...my computer wont start and says.... NTLRD is missing Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart...
It happened when i tried to install norton anti virus. It did a prescan before installation and attempted to fix the corrupted files and now my computer is useless and i cant seem to fix the system recovery disk...my thoughts are that it assigned the wrong drive to start up the computer when it attempted to fix the files that were corrupted...possibly messing with the BIOS...any thoughts or ways of fixing this problem...oh and i am using windows xp on an hp pavilion

Vger

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 04:29:57 PM »

Hi,

NTLDR is a vital system file used by Windows XP and should be in your root-map. If it is missing, as you said, your computer will not start.

Furthermore it is a hidden file, so you won't normally see it.
To fix the problem, I could send you a copy of this file as it is on my computer. I use Win XP Pro. Hopefully that will help.

Mail me at Vgerw175@msn.com and I'll send you a copy. Inserting a file attachment here doesn't seem to work.Sad

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 04:51:02 PM »

Accepting files from strangers is very like accepting sweeties - you never know what they're laced with (which is, I assume, why you had problems uploading one!!)

DO NOT accept files from strangers - especially ones from newsgroups/forums, unless you are SURE of their provenance!!

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
Adizzle

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 01:37:19 PM »

Hey, I just had a problem this morning which said:
Windows cannot be started because the following file is missing or corrupt <windows root>system 32\hal.dll
I pressed Delete to enter setup, and I switched some stuff around, namely the hard drives in the boot section.  When I restarted to check if that worked, the computer came up with the message you are seeing, that NTLRD thing.  I switched back and now I get my old message.  You should check with somebody who knows more about computers first, because maybe switching hard drives is not too good for the computer, but that may get rid of your problem.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: