MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: I/O subsys failure..HELP
November 12, 2019, 08:57:01 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 12, 2019, 08:57:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I/O subsys failure..HELP  (Read 1661 times)
lildevil91

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2004, 11:51:37 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win98
Problem Application Name & Version: not sure
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Pentinum 3, 500mhz
Error Messages: I/O subsytem driver failed to load

I have a Pent. 3 500mhz, i have two memory cards in it, a 128 and a 256 cards. hard drive is a 12 ...I went to start pc again other day and it wouldn't load all the way ..it said I/O subsystem driver failed to load. Either file in  the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt or system is low on memory. I know it can't be the memory cause i had lower than what i have now and everything was fine then...so it has got to be the I/O sub sys.  I can not afford to take it in to a shop to have repair, cause i'm on ssi. So please tell me it didn't crash.  And what can I do to repair it myself??  any help would be greatfully appreciated.
Wilma

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 05:08:34 AM »

wanted to know what was last thing u install or change on ur pc. if so do u remember what was that?

lildevil91

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 12:50:07 PM »

well i didn't install anything...i sent an e card to my cousin and that site started to put up ads all over the place and then adware was installing on my pc by itself...so i got off the net and ran virus scan three times to clean it out and ran the disk cleanup. then ran disk scan... and then defrag...but that was all i did..I'm not sure what to do to fix it...
Wilma

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 10:07:11 PM »

try to boot with a startup disk. if u don't have it see if u can get it from someone. it seems to me that the system file is corropted. try to boot with a startup then see if u can get into the pc. let me know.

lildevil91

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 12:35:49 AM »

I tried the boot disk and nothing happened...I am currrently going to borrow a win 98 cd ...should i try reinstalling windows 98?
Wilma

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 12:17:48 PM »

I think u should reinstall but first u have to format the hard drive with a third party utility like Ghost. Ghost has a utility called gdisk which cleans the hard drive very well. If u found a gdisk I will tell u the command otherwise u can format when u reinstall it with cd.  I don't remember 98 but with NT and latter version u can choose to format first then reinstall.  
Good luck

lildevil91

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 01:18:59 PM »

what is ghost and where would i get it??  And is ghost really necessary to reinstall windows 98 ?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 01:21:55 PM by lildevil91 » Logged
Wilma

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 07:03:04 PM »

ghost is one of microsoft utility that u can make backup and images of a hard drive.  as I said if u don't have it, go a head with win98 and format first. I mean first delete the partition u have then when win98 wants to install, it will ask u to format the partition then u say yes then follow the screen. pay attention to what u r doing.

lildevil91

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 07:20:21 PM »

how do i format that pc first and delete the partion??  or does that happen when i stick win. 98 cd in???
Wilma

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 10:15:12 PM »

u told me that ur pc is not booting at all, i need more info to be able to tell u what to do.  if ur computer boots up but does give u error messages, i need to know what exectly is.  If it boot at all or not, i mean if u see it turns on but u don't get the windows.
To start from the disk u have to go to bios and set the bios to boot from cd.  Do u know how to do that? when the pc boots up by pressing (Delete) key or enter key, it depends on pc, u can go to bois.  Then choose where it says (boot option)then change the first boot option to cd drive. u can find out in there how to change the options. then save and exit don't change anything that u don't understand. then when u reboot the pc it will prompt u ( if u want to start from cd press any key) then follow the instruction. but first delete the partition then format then install.  after u delete the partition, the pc will tell u that it has unformated partition and will ask u to format.  I hope this will help u, but i need more info.  Be patient and u will learn from it. please provide more info for me, step by step what u hv done. thanks

lildevil91

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 12:55:28 AM »

ok. i got the boot sisk to work and i got the prompt.  And typed in scandisk as it said to do in the help file on the bootdisk itself..from that the scandisk said everything was alright and it finally let me switch the A:\ to E:\ ...e being my cd drive and i finally got to reinstall windows and so far it is working..THANK GOD!!  I want to thank you for all your help. It was much appreciated.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: