MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: Deleteing protected files
November 11, 2019, 08:42:47 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 11, 2019, 08:42:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deleteing protected files  (Read 1172 times)
holysmokes

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2004, 09:15:46 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: WINDOWS XP
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages: None

Is there a way to delete protected files? I performed a spyware test on my C drive and it got rid of lots of that icky stuff. However the program I used, "Adware 6.0" is unable to get rid of about 6 files. I tried deleteing them in Windows and using a DOS prompt. I also tried a DOS Prompt in SAFE mode but had no luck. I cannot change, rename, move, alter or do anything to these files. How can I rid this poor ole computer of these files? Thanks.

benditup

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 09:28:14 PM »

What folder is the files located in? What version of XP are you using?
Home or Pro

holysmokes

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 09:59:36 PM »

Hi Benditup.

Windows XP (home).

c:\program files\common\wtools\

I've been nosing around the net and stumbled onto this possible cure:
Open a Command Prompt window and leave it open. Close all open programs.  Click Start, Run and enter TASKMGR.EXE   Go to the Processes tab and End Process on Explorer.exe.  Leave Task Manager open. Go back to the Command Prompt window and change to the directory the AVI (or other undeletable file) is located in.  At the command prompt type DEL <filename>  where <filename> is the file you wish to delete.   Go back to Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell.  Close Task Manager.

Should I give this a try?  Thanks.

benditup

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 11:30:40 PM »

Would you please download Hijackthis---Important---Create a permanent folder hijackthis
EG---- Open MyDocuments----Right click an empty spot and select NEW---Folder----Name the new folder HJT ---this is where you will want to save Hijackthis too, also, backups will be stored there.
download from
HERE or HERE

Do a SCAN----Scan will change to SAVE LOG----copy and paste the WHOLE contents of the log
here... Don't try and fix anything yet----It is all important

holysmokes25

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 02:15:04 PM »

Forgive me, however I'm extremely skeptical about downloading anything at present. I'll do a little research in an attempt to familiarize myself with the program you are recommending.
In the meantime, here is what I've managed to do. The procedure I mentioned earlier failed completely. Each time I attempt to close the 3 related processes in Task Manager, it automatically restarts and replaces each part of the process within seconds after closing them....even in safe mode. However I did manage to RENAME and MOVE the entire file in SAFE mode by using the Command Prompt. I moved it from c:\Program Files\Common Files\Wintools to a folder renamed to  C:\aaa
 I rebooted and opened Task Manager and the processes are no longer running. I am still unable to delete the new folder, (C:\aaa) or any of it's files. It appears that it's part of a Trojan which Norton Virus scan is unable to detect. I got that info from a site called Answersthatwork.com Here's what they have to say about it;

benditup

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 02:18:13 PM »

http://www.mytechsupport.ca/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=42&topic=4345

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: