MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: Earthlink TotalAccess Installer
November 11, 2019, 08:14:41 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 11, 2019, 08:14:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Earthlink TotalAccess Installer  (Read 2895 times)
Annette

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2004, 06:13:09 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win 98SE
Problem Application Name & Version:Earthlink TotalAccess 2005
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\TA_2005_1_INSTALLER\Windows\MSXML\msxml3.msi returned 1612

This is driving me insane. Earthlink support has proven to be USELESS. I get the same error when I try to install the 2004 version from a CD. The 2005 version is from a saved file on my Desktop.  I have downloaded and installed every piece of **** I have been told to (by Earthlink) and it STILL won't work.  

Suggestions? Please?

sgarwood9g

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 04:00:28 AM »

I HAVE HAD THE EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE WITH THE TOTAL ACCESS INSTALLER.
THE EXACT SAME MESSAGE THAT YOU HAVE GOTTEN/  WITH NO HELP FROM EARTHLINK.  THEY TOLD ME TO UNINSTALL AND TRY AGAIN.  THEN I USED 2004 CD AND THOUGHT I WOULD UPDATE, BUT THE SAME THING HAPPENED. have you had any response that helped???
Sharon?Huh?

Annette

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 01:03:18 PM »

Angry No. I never got it installed. Earthlink support is a joke and I told them about it too.  I now own 3 copies of the 2004 version (CD). I finally gave up and am currently looking into changing Internet Providers.  Sorry I was of no help to you.

sgarwood9g

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 06:57:01 PM »

Annette,

Try Netscape ISP..  $9.95/mo. no contract. They were very helpful with support. Go to:  http://www.isp.netscape.com  

THIS PROBLEM WITH MSXML\msxml3.msi  has me furious that I cannot find the solution.  Have you had problems with Windows Update telling you that you hae not downloaded a Security Update, when your download History shows that you have?   Microsoft is supposed to be researching that and letting me know.  I have a feeling that all of this is connected in some way.

Sharon

craneadmin

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 07:11:29 PM »

Ok people, I have a fix for this:

the problem is that Earthlink includes an msxml3 installer in their install package.  For some reason, if your system doesn't like the fact that they reference their own installer it will choke.

Here's the fix:  
1)download microsoft's latest xml installer (4.0 at this writing), the file name is (was) msxml.msi. Run the installer, but KEEP THAT FILE HANDY because you'll need it in a sec.

2)Run the earthlink TotalAccess installer until it fails.  note the directory it mentions...something like username/...localsettings/....temp/...windows/...msxml.../.
You will need to know how to find this file path on the "fixed" install.
*NOTE: these temporary files are deleted after each install, so once you cancel the installer they vanish.

3)Run your Earthlink installer.  STOP at the screen where you choose your checkboxes for mailbox, etc.  Don't do anything else.  Now minimize that window.

4)Go to the directory you noted in step 2.  Find the MSXML3.msi file and rename it MSXML3.msi.bak

5) copy the MSXML.msi file to that same location and name it MSXML3.msi

6)No maximize the earthlink installer window again and continue.
You will probably see an error message that says something like "path to msxml.msi not found", you can click through it.  Once the installer completes you'll need to reboot.  After that you should be good to go.

Notes:
I suspect that you could put any file in the directory in step 5 as long as it had the same name as the old file.

I've tested this on a Windows 2000 system and it worked perfectly.  I suspect it will work on other variations of windows as well.

Good Luck!

I'm sorry, I don't understand.  Please speak louder and slower.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: