MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Missing D Drive
November 11, 2019, 07:40:34 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 11, 2019, 07:40:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Missing D Drive  (Read 1055 times)
mandy5

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2004, 05:35:08 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Win 98
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Appreciate any help or suggestions!
I recently replaced the power supply(AT) on my older machine, back up and running again. CD-port door is opening/closing and little light comes on when you manually press the 'open/close' button. However, when I open up 'My Computer' to see the available drives, I see only A(floppy disk drive) and C - (hard drive). D is now no longer there and im unable to get to or run any CD. I need to set up my printer which requires me to play a CD so now Im really stuck. Do I need to reinstall a driver for this CD drive or Huh? Id love some feedback on this, please keep in mind that Im clueless when it comes to the inner workings of my computer!! Thanks again. Mandy5:)

ww1961

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 11:40:54 AM »

It sounds like the cd-rom drive has been lost in the bios settings when you changed your power supply.

Since you have a older computer. When you start your computer hold down the F8 key while it is booting up. (It may be another key on your computer). This will take you into the bios settings screen. Your hard drives and cd-rom drives should be listed. If the cd-rom drive is not shown see if you can auto-detect and it may find the cd drive for you. Let me know how you get on.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 12:25:18 PM »

Did you disconnect the IDE cable from the back of the CD drive when you were installing the PSU(Power Supply Unit)?? If you did just check it to make sure it's plugged back in correctly.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
mandy5

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 01:29:22 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. Im having a little trouble once I boot up getting to the BIOS screen. I see 'Safe Mode' and someother options, but Ill keep looking around. I found some folders with the 'BIOS' descriptor but I dont think they were what ww1961 was referring to. Ill keep at it though.
Ill have to look up the IDE cable to try and figure out what that is. I connected a wide flat cable with about 6-8 receptors that kind of snapped in, and also a small two receptor type cable which is the one Im unsure of. Im kind of wading in over my head here, but I appreciate the suggestions! Thanks!

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 02:13:27 PM »

Ok,

The F8 isn't what you want to press if you want to get to BIOS, the key is usually F2 or Delete, when the computer is booting up you should see at the bottom of the screen: "Press X to enter BIOS". Where X is the key you need to press.

Secondly, the IDE cable is usually flat and grey in colour. There should be a small connector going into the back of the CD drive for the power, and then the IDE cable so that it can communicate with the motherbaord.

If you're still not sure don't be afraid to ask! Hope this helps some.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: