MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: razor.exe virus & Outlook will not send/receive-
November 14, 2019, 05:40:50 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 14, 2019, 05:40:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: razor.exe virus & Outlook will not send/receive-  (Read 989 times)
Brandywine

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2004, 07:29:54 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Win XP Home
Problem Application Name & Version:McAfee Anti Virus and Internet Explorer V6
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Dell PC
Error Messages:

When this pc first connects to the internet, (on dialup) within a few seconds a screen from McAfee Antivirus pops up and says that it has found the W32/Sdbot.worm.gen.g virus in the following file C:\Documents and settings\*username*\local settings\temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2HCR255P\razor(1).exe
It says it has cleaned the file and removed it.  I can choose to continue and then a second message comes up with the path to the 'temp' directory and lists something like rzsgswcp.exe (in place of razor)but that file name is different everytime.  It has also removed, cleaned, deleted this virus.  I checked before connecting to the internet and there was only 2 files in the TIF folder--a cookie from myway.com and a cookie from google.com.  I have it set so that IE temp files are deleted at close.  Once the Antivirus message comes up, I look at the TIF files again and there is a 'razor.exe' file there that points to www.razorspenthouse.com.  I went to that address and it is a selfmade 404 page with his (authors) writing in it.  Also, and I don't know if this is connected or not, but email cannot be sent/received from Outlook.  I have the hijack this file, but it won't upload as an attachment.  If someone wants to look at it, I will send it to you.  I also ran an analysis on it, but can't include it because it didn't save properly and I'm not sure what to do with the Nasty's if I don't know what information that should be in there. Delete those references?  Just wanted someone else to say it won't make more problems.  One mention on the analysis was about an open hook that needed to be removed or fixed, but I don't know what to put in there.

I have run just about every spyware/trojan/removal program out there.  Pest Patrol says it will remove razor.exe, but it wants me to purchase it and since this is someone elses PC--I would rather see if there was another fix first.  Also, other references (searches) to razor.exe are for a game that this person has never heard of.
Since I have spent about 6 hours over the last couple of days on this and the user is 'breathing down my neck' for a solution, I would certainly appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Brandywine

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 09:56:47 PM »

I did some checking of the Hijack this log through the analyzer program on majorgeeks.com and made some changes/fixes that was recommended and this resolved the razor.exe issue.  Apparently the email not sending/receiving is/was just a timing issue.  The virus notification no longer appears, however, I still cannot send/receive email.  It times out.  I am making some changes to the account setup and trying again.

Brandywine

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 10:02:09 PM »

Well, I made a change in the server information in Outlook Express and now mail is sending, but receiving extremely slowly.  This could be due to the size of the email.  I'll keep plugging.

This issue is closed.

Brandywine

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: